Deck of Dream Team

Deck of Dream Team 2012: Adam Goodes

After playing 99% of games in the last 11 years, Adam Goodes is one of the most reliable premium forwards going around. But at the age of 32… is the best behind this Brownlow medalist? Join Calvin as he breaks it down for you, Jonah Takalua style.

Name: Adam Goodes
Price: $491,000
Club: Sydney Swans
Position: Forward/Midfield
Bye Round: 12
2011 Average: 99.2
2011 Games Played: 22
Predicted Average: 95

Why should I pick him?

Lets’ start talking about Adam Goodes’ durability. Over his last 11 seasons Goodes has played 239 games of the 242 available (99%)… this is truly amazing. Not many people in the AFL carry such an impressive record. “But he’s too old Calvin”… Yes he’s old… but although he’s been 30+ years old for a few years now and he has still played the last 66 games straight! Plus… Goodes has been extremely consistent over this period (3 years) and has averaged 98.9 (2009), 94.6 (2010) and 99.2 (2011) proving himself to be one of the best premium forwards going around.

Goodes is also another DPP. Our forward lines this year will be loaded with these guys, which adds more flexibility to your line up.

Goodes loves to smash certain teams and plays the GWS twice in 2012. Last year he averaged 121 on the Lions, 130 on the Bombers and 140 on the Bulldogs who he also plays twice this year and finds himself coming off 6×100+ games against them in his last 6 games. Captain anyone? Ha ha we’ll have to wait and see what the pirate says about that one at a later date.

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

He’s old… he’s 32, but I have sort of put that excuse to bed already. So try this one on for size. DO NOT START WITH HIM. Adam Goodes is a famous for his slow starts before flying home like a steam train. Check out the trendy graphic I have made illustrating this point of what he averages in the first 8 games of a season compared to the last 8 games.

Deck of DT Rating. KING – Adam Goodes is destined for another solid year of playing every game (touch wood)… ha ha dirty joke, and will most likely hold his average of 95ish. My main point here today is… grab Goodesy at a later date, do not start with him and enjoy the ride home as he will smash it like he usually does.

TWITTER @CalvinDT for advice on trendy graphics and DT advice.

1. Nails

January 21, 2012 at 6:06 am

Nice write up Vin, saw it was 5:30am and was going to go to bed, but thought stuff it, I’m going to stay up for DoDT.

I find it interesting that you wrote up on Goodes as I understand the idea behind DoDT is to give us a range of players to consider to pick for our team. At least that’s how I understand it. Yes, Goodes is a gun, just interesting and different to see an article written telling us to NOT pick him :P

I might pick him up after his bye, we’ll see. But as I said, nice write up and thanks for the continued great efforts fellas ;)

oh and ummm… First maybe? lol

• imofm

January 21, 2012 at 7:28 am

Yeah, great write up.

Making the decision on who to pick is sometimes made easier knowing who not to include.

• Kevin

January 21, 2012 at 7:35 am

Great right up! You have confirmed what we all thought. Get Goodes later!

2. eeepobreci

January 21, 2012 at 6:18 am

Brilliant Article!
    Looks like a debut in rnd 14 vs GWS!

3. Pettiger

January 21, 2012 at 7:20 am

Good call Calvin. It is his DPP that gives him the most value.

4. GJayBee

January 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

Aye Captain! He was so Goodes to me last year, I was sailing with him right from the start!

Sure, there was a score in the 40’s one in the 60’s and a few days when he was living in the 70’s, but the man stood up!

I don’t know why, but I am not starting with him this year. I’m loading up on egotistical genetic freaks who are young and into DP’s, I mean, have DP status.

When one of the wonderkind goes down with a bruised ego, or forgets that you can’t drink alcohol and assault women while driving drunk, I can pick up the master.

Still, i don’t know why I ain’t picking him from the start and saving a trade. Sure, he plays better in the second half, but so does my ex-girlfriend. (I think it’s the drinks that do it for her.)

Having Goodes from the start last year was like believing in God. You know it’s risky cause he is so old, but the blind faith pays off because you go to sleep knowing you have the master in your corner!

• GJayBee

January 21, 2012 at 9:12 am

By the way Calvin, that graphic is a phenomenon.

I have George Lucas on the phone and he want’s you to digitally remaster the Star Wars prequels with you computer graphic skills.

Apparently, he want’s Jar Jar binks edited out, and a two headed Goodes/Roc creature to take it’s place. It’s a good paying gig mate.

Just remember who hooked you up, and man, if you go to Hollywood and pull Scarlet Johanson, remember me when your in the throes!

5. TeeButOne

January 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

No offense guys, but this is a pretty narrow-minded analysis. Sure Goodes has been a bit weaker in his starts than his finishes in the past, but take a look at his draw:

Let’s compare 2012 to 2011:

Last year, in their first 8 games, Sydney played Melbourne, Essendon, West Coast, Geelong, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Pt Adelaide & Hawthorn … not exactly the easiest run of games, 5 teams in the Top 6.

NOW, let’s look to 2012. This year, their first 8 games are: GWS, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Kangaroos, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Richmond & Melbourne … HOLY CRAPPIN’ EASY!!! Only 1 team from last year’s Top 8!!!!!!!

I rest my case … Goodes is a LOCK for Round 1 (as with 1-2 other Sydney players going by this draw).

• benno

January 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

Had him from rnd 1 last yr… Will do the same again.
      proven scorer + durable = lock

His lower ave at the beginning of yr is not hat bad. You no what you get with him.
      Alot of unknowns with alot of fwds this yr in the younger un proven ones. Ie. Zaharias/beams/sidebum/Robinson etc

• Recall

January 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

Haha sometimes it’s the intelligent people like yourself wo do the research that make it hard to get a jump on the competition. I have goodes as a unique to start with coz of those stats I’d choose a proven gun over a beams sidebum or zaha anyday

• sgi86

January 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

Haha was waiting for this to come up as it’s sooo bloody tempting to get him. Of the zaha/ sidebum/ robinson group u can only trust Robinson as although he is a douche he is gunna shred this yr (check last yrs fanfooty numbers). Goodes is very very close to a lock for me purely on the same logic as Scott Thompson is on everyone’s radar

• Chuck Norris

January 21, 2012 at 11:25 am

“5 teams in the top 6”

Which of Melbourne, Essendon, Western Bulldogs and Pt. Adelaide was in the top 6?

Just saying…

• giants

January 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

Dude, shut up… :P

• tkol

January 22, 2012 at 9:50 am

The issue early on in the seasonisn’t the teams Goodes comes up against, it’s Goodes himself.
      DT wise it takes the champ a while to hit top gear. As he builds up his fitness by mid season, it then doesn’t matter who he plays because he destroys everyone.
      The Champ times his runs perfectly, and so should you!
      Upgrade only.

6. Noodles71

January 21, 2012 at 10:41 am

This guy is freakishly good. Maybe worth looking at later on.

7. Gilly

January 21, 2012 at 10:51 am

Great write up as usual Vin, and what an absolute champion player Adam Goodes is. Among his many accomplishments, also voted Marngrook Footy Show “deadliest” player awards three years running now.

DT wise, as noted above, he is super durable and reliable and I love players I can set and forget. A 90+ average is fine with me considering there’s really not a lot on offer in the established forward ranks.

More than likely a lock for me, and same for his brother Christenson, who I think is the pick of the Robinson/Sillybottom fwd/mid types.

Happy pre-season to all.

TOO NARROW MINDED. Fail.

• Benny

January 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Benny likes this

10. Brady 3

January 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

Great read Calvin, will be an upgrade target later on in the year!

11. giants

January 21, 2012 at 11:35 am

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re still doing DoDT cards on this guy in 2015. He’s an absolute freak.

Unless we’re given a concrete reason not to select him during the pre-season, I’m gonna lock him in. The rest of you can join me or you can fall behind :).

12. Ronaldo

January 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Yeah Goodesy is really good against the bombers, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjj5AAWVFk.

On a DT note, he will certainly not get an initial gig but if he finds some swell form later on he’ll be an upgrade target.

13. tuppy

January 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm

i dont think last yrs first 8 games were that hard ,he usually kills west coast and for a player as good as him i think that first 8 wasnt that bad at all,but the stats dont lie i spoz.
    though i would think with him being the age he is heez a big chance to play better early in the season than late…if i was gonna take him id take him from the start and hope that his ave stays the same as previous yrs.
    its a risk because of age,and because u would be really needing him to be a keeper,but most people r risks though most people arnt champions .so intersting card in the deck,one of the best so f ar ,plenty of food for thought in him ,if i go with him it will be from the start

14. feathertopDT

feathertopDT

January 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

He’s a mid season upgrade target for me

btw Lin Jong anyone

• Phil Ken Sebben

January 21, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Didn’t he just die recently? “Ohhh, herro Hans Briecks! So good to see you!…Sure Hans, come in, rook alound…no nucrear weapon here!”

Warnie

January 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm

He is in the next DT TALK epsiode! Stay tuned!

15. wcarey

January 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm

no harm in waiting until mid season on googles. its not like you missing the boat and he will become alot more expensive than his starting price.

16. Gerryboy

January 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Nice write up Calvin, penciled in for after the bye!

17. Bandicoot

January 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I’m so pleased the deck brings up all these players we should have and how many of them have been locked in by everyone. I now have 48 players locked in. LOL.

18. Calvin

Calvin

January 22, 2012 at 11:55 am

Great feed back thanks lads…

19. PurpleArmy

January 23, 2012 at 6:22 pm

i agree his second half of the season is better then the 1st but this year it may change, lot of easy winable games before there bye round. Currently in my team for Dusty, dont like how the tigers play all 8 finalists in the first 10 rounds….who knows what he’ll score. Might look at him after the bye

Swans first 11 rounds
    rd1 GWS
    rd2 Freo (home)
    rd3 Port (A)
    rd4 Nth M (home)
    rd5 Haw (A)
    rd6 Adelaide (home)
    rd7 Richmond (A)
    rd8 Melb (home)
    rd9 St Kilda (etihad)
    rd10 Bulldogs (home)
    rd11 Bombers (etihad)

• giants

January 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I’ve been thinking along the same lines PA. Sydney players in the first half of the year, Richmond and Melbourne players as upgrades.

Sydney are a good bet to be 7-4, maybe 8-3 at the halfway point of the year.