Deck of Dream Team

Deck of Dream Team 2012: Alan Didak

Alan Didak is priced at just $363,700 this year is no doubt on everyones radar. He averaged just 74 last year playing injured more often than not and when you look at his averages in years prior to that… he seems a no brainer. So get in there and read why Calvin isn’t as confident.

Name: Alan Didak
Club: Collingwood
Position: Forward/Midfielder
Assistant Coach 2012 Price: $363,700
Bye Round: 12
2011 Average: 73.5
2011 Games Played: 17
Predicted Average: 87

Why should I pick him? Didak is another one of these Dual Position Players who we must be considering in 2012. Firstly, with the DDP he brings great flexibility to your line up, enabling you to rotate him through the Midfield if you need, or when the dreaded byes hit half way through the year.

Didak is massively under-priced based on what he has done in the past.

2008 – averaged 95
2009 – averaged 103
2010 – averaged 99
2011 – averaged 74

In 2010, Didak racked up 90+ points in 65% of his games and is clearly one of the best premo forwards out there. In 2011… Didak was clearly playing injured. He averaged just 35pts per game in the AFL Finals series (3 games) and severely struggled all year. He entered the year with very very limited pre-season and with Didak already back on the track in this year, he’s certainly one to have your eye on!

Why shouldn’t I pick him? Didak turns 29 years old in February which pushes him very close to the dreaded 30 year old mark that everyone talks about. He played the 2011 injured… as he does nearly every year. Didak has missed 2 or more in each of his last 5 seasons and finds himself priced $32,000 more than Jonno Brown. Another negaitive here is, Didak shares his Rd 12 bye with the likes of Chapman, Stevie J, Fyfe, Pav, Goodes, Beams and Steele… Brownie does not.

Deck of DT Rating. QUEEN – In the past, Didak would be rated as a KING or maybe even an ACE but… Didak is approaching his 12th season in the AFL. He’s massively under priced based on what he can do, or has done in the past… but there is no way you can roll with Brownie and Didak in the same line… it’s just way too risky! So will you be picking Didak or Brown? Or will you be steering clear of both these under priced/injury prone lads? Personally… If I was going any, Brown over Didak is my call just for that extra $30k and that horrid Rd. 12 bye.

TWITTER: @CalvinDT to chat dreamteam or love life advice!

Do you need a Captain? Then Calvin will help you out. Don't want a Captain? Calvin will tell you anyway. The man who digs deep into stats will help you pick a great captain and give you plenty of Fantasy advice. Follow him on Twitter: @CalvinDT

tigers1980

December 28, 2011 at 6:57 am

Didak is my preference over Brown

Didak with a full pre-season should be back to 2010 form

Milk_Lizard

December 28, 2011 at 10:33 am

A news article coming from the club itself about how players are going pre-season… Probably not the best source to base your DT picks on. Wait for pre-season games and even round 1 team selection, I have doubts about him even getting a gig.

McScoundrel

December 28, 2011 at 7:00 am

I’ll state my bias from the off here. When Collingwood weren’t that good and played every second Friday, Didak was one of the reasons to watch them play. Cruising around doing the unpredictable, racking up points at will – that’s the Didak I remember.

Some have said he’s not even in the best 22 anymore. That implication is that Blair, Krakoeur and Macaffer are all ahead of him in the pecking order…hmm. IF he’s fit he’ll be one of the best small forwards in the comp again and if he goes berko in a couple of pre-season games, I’ll probably find myself moving heaven and earth to fit him into my team.

Milk_Lizard

December 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

If he is fit, he will probably play as purely a small forward.. The days he would rack up 3 kicks in a row on the wing I feel is over. Still good for 80 odd average though, but I wouldn’t trust his consistency any more. But we’ll have to wait and see how it pans out over the next 3 months

GJayBee

December 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Big call that Did’s is not in the best 22. I believe a fit Did’s is easily in the best 22 and if he has the legs, would be taking at least some rotations though the middle.

I would LOVE TO SEE HIM GO BACK LIKE DAVIS!!

Sloth

December 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I would also like to see that.

rastaman

December 28, 2011 at 7:40 am

Didak and Brown present terrific upside. If they both have uninterrupted pre-seasons then I see no reason why both can’t be included in your starting line-up. At worst they are mid-priced cash cows with great scoring potential. If they get injured, you’ll still likely be in front.

No guts, no glory. Languishing around the 20k mark and embarrassing yourself is no cause for celebration Calvy boy. ;]

stkildathunda

December 28, 2011 at 8:13 am

I still reckon Krakwhore was main reason for Didak’s “form” drop in 2011. Wont be touching him with ten foot pole. No room in Pies midfield for him and think Kraks, Blair etc are ahead of him for the small forward position.

Sloth

December 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

To an extent Krakwhores impact contributed to Didaks reduced output, as did his lack of preseason and subsequently fitness. But to say that Krak and Blair are in front of him is a bit rich. Didak is a best and fairest winner and 2 time all australian, with the last of those coming in 2010! I think everyone has got a pretty short memory here.

The pies sorely missed his creativeness up on the wing half forward last year and if fit, which it sounds like he is, he is in their top 10 players no doubt.

The Sloth will be welcoming him into the starting line up, probably with J Brown alongside him.

Thanks.

willpies

December 28, 2011 at 8:23 am

too risky not cheap enough imo

6. Warnie

Warnie

December 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

Stupid not the have him on your watchlist at the moment, but there are a lot of questions for me. Job security/substitutions are a worry. His ‘premium status’ points came from midfield time… I don’t think he’ll be getting much of a run in the middle at all.

Good article. So many of these decisions will come down to that bye. Round 12 will be a killer for forwards – especially MID/FWDs.

Brown-dog at similar price will offer just as much value… just for coolness!

...ANONYMOUS...

December 28, 2011 at 11:10 am

Agreed, many of us can’t wait for his nab-cup/pre-season.
      You would be CRAZY not to have a look at this gem…

dimsim

December 30, 2011 at 8:56 am

Do we play league matches through the bye rounds or not? if not i’d rather go dids.

eeepobreci

December 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

A tiny blimp on the radar.

thejamster

December 28, 2011 at 11:40 am

Koopa

December 28, 2011 at 11:30 am

Questioning if he will even get a game is ridiculous,
    If they played him this year injured why the hell not next year.

I think he got bored and annoyed with his injury and he hates not being the poster
    Boy anymore,

But I still don’t think he will improve much this year, as his position has been filled by 2-3 other players,
    But I would think he would play his usual 16-20 games next year just because he is Didak,

Then again none of this takes into mind change of head coach,

tuppy

December 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm

exactly what i was gonna say none of that includes the change of coach,and none of us know yet what his plan for him are..wait and see for me ,was hopeing he would come cheaper after last yr

Joey

December 28, 2011 at 11:46 am

Hey everyone, this is my 1st year of Dream Team and i was hoping i could have a few defenders who are worth bringing into my side. I don’t know much about AFL and only know a few big names. Please help me. Thanks.

GJayBee

December 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Joey mate, I’m on Goddard, Delidio and Shaw for premiums.

And thinking of Brougham, Suckling, Heppell, Puopollo, Lake, Carrazo as well.

And finishing off with Lake, Bower, Mohr and some other yet identified rook that I will pray plays as well as Duigan, Heppell, Martin or Suckling did last year!

Joey

December 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Cheers Jay, will take them on board

Alex's All Stars

December 28, 2011 at 11:52 am

Interesting thoughts posted by all, I will keep him in mind come NAB cup but I think Didak’s day’s of featuring in my DT are near over. So many choices in the FWD / MID sections who are potential lock players.

J Brown for me of the two.

GJayBee

December 28, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Calvin you stud, I agree that Did’s has to be on the radar. As a pies man I can not pray hard enough for him to make a full recovery. Yet, I don’t see him returning to 90+ average. How I wish!

Benny

December 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Not a chance for me. He’s at an awkward price, and although I’m in no way against mid-pricers (I started with a heap last year and ended up top 25, so they can’t be too bad), there are so many other DPP Mid/Fwd at that price with so much more to offer. Pass

GJayBee

December 28, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Top 25! Nice work man. I imagine you would have been having dreams about your dream team!

If Dids is out for ya, what about Lake, Brown, Hayes? All four are on my radar for pre season. Surely there is no way all of them will have a good 2012.

wcarey

December 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

i think lake out of those three. super cheap and has huge potential looking back to some of those monster scores he pulled in 2010. i’m disregarding last year and he’s fit for round one lock and load!

Brown just cant seem to play full seasons giving him a miss. hayes im not too keen on but havent ruled him out just yet.

Benny

December 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I think Hayes looks the goods, if he’s massively discounted (I haven’t looked, but I imagine he is) and possibly Lake, just because he’s a defender and there aren’t many better deals. As for Dids and Brown, I wouldn’t touch either with a 10-foot pole (and I barrack for the Lions). Just simply don’t see either of them returning to their glory days, hopefully they prove me wrong.

Sloth

December 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Anyone considered Courtney Dempsey from the dons in defense?

Is set for a big year if he can stay on the park, the Dons will look to use his pace coming out of defense in the quarter back role, which they were missing a bit last year.

The NAB cup aint what it used to be for analysing rookies and player roles with its new format either.

Fabregas

December 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Was thinking about both him and Winderlich since the season ended – anticipating they might get a juicy discount but no dice on either..

Dempsey is ~25 and should be coming into his prime but not sure how much upside he has in ppg (he’s priced at ~50, averaged 72 in 2010) vs. a ~$100k rookie.

Still a few months to go to tinker endlessly with my team, no doubt he will be in and out many times. Doesnt help that he shares his bye with Cats/Pies/Freo

Fabregas

December 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hayes has a 10% discount.. disappointing given he played less than 2 games last year.. Thinking about him.. but he will be 32 next year and coming back from his second knee recon.. not convinced he can go back to averaging 105+ but will wait til NAB Cup to make a call

Sloth

December 29, 2011 at 1:08 am

Yeah my thoughts are the same on Dempsy, potentially he could average 80-90 but there is such an unknown about how he will be used and on top of that you must factor in his consistency. There also seems to be a fair few decent back rookies around. I reckon Dempsy’s JS would be good as the dons are looking for that quarter back style player. But I agree at 25 he should be entering his prime and could turn out to be a nice unique.

The thought is nice on paper and its kinda nice to talk about it but I think the risk outweighs the reward here.

As for Hayes – a 10% discount IS FUCKING BULLSHIT! Warnie mentioned in a comment on the Winderlich page that the reason why Porps isn’t rookie priced (like he should be if VS stuck to the player pricing rules that they make when you consider his last years average – 16 – and discount received from games missed) was because he would be ‘too much of a lock’ and the DT lads advised that it would make things too easy, so they (VS) exercise a bit of discretion here and there so things aren’t too easy which is fair enough. But IMO Lenny should have the correct discount applied. Warnie if your listening, lean on VS and get his price reduced!

Pettiger

December 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Worth considering. Will keep on the watchlist.

FLOPITOUT1

December 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Apart from the rookies this year is anyone underpriced ?

FLOPITOUT1

December 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Didak 2010 averaged 99 DT points. price for 2011 = 411k

2011 averaged 74 DT points. price for 2012 = 363k

At the end of 2011 he was worth 283k

Does this offer value for money ? i guess compared to the premiums he is cheap

Warnie

December 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

You need to remember all is relative when thinking about the magic number and it’s relation to the salary cap. He is priced at that much less average, so yes… He is cheap!

FLOPITOUT1

December 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

OK so Swan does not need to score 140 a week to maintain his price of 600k ?

tbetta

December 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Depends whether you’re talking about his Market Value or Price.

To maintain his price tag of $598,300 he will have to average higher than 120.95 (which he is priced at), but not as high as 140. As we know, this is because of the magic number decreasing as rookies and underpriced players increase in price. Around a 127 average is a conservative guess.

To maintain his Market Value however, he will only need to average the 120.95 he averaged in 2011. His price will drop, but his value in relation to everyone else will be equivalent.

Kuruki

December 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm

My radar must be broken because he is not even registering on it. If he goes 90+ in the first 2 games ill consider burning a trade but im not crossing my fingers.

Sloth

December 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm

The thing about taking a gamble on a few mid pricers is that if it doesn’t pay off after at least the first 2 rounds, then you can downgrade them to a rookie that you missed out on to set your team up better, bank about $150k and pocket a rookie. BAM.

Reprobates

December 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Correct weight, however those first two rounds are best used to get in the rookies you missed for the third round price increases. Rookie swapping for round three, unless you were lucky to pick the goodies

Kuruki

December 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Has anyone actually got any examples of older guys coming back from injury and poor seasons and bouncing back into top form again?? or does it rarely happen?

ProudLion1991

December 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Brad Green in 2010 is one off the top of my head.

Reprobates

December 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm

absolutely no way..has lost it !

Sloth

December 29, 2011 at 1:12 am

I agree, he just had a stinker of a year last year and should average 85-95 with the new coach, Mitch Clarke up front and a maturing Watts to share the load. Every other year for the past 5 or 6 he has pretty much averaged 85+.

Brappinalong

December 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm

If Didak’s 100% fit and has a solid Nab cup then he may well take Fyfe’s spot in my team, it’s a bonus they share the same bye. Then look at Fyfe as an upgrade when his fitness is up to scratch.

Hurl_the_Pears

December 29, 2011 at 11:42 am

Whats wrong with Fyfe’s fitness? Was fine this year and going along beautifully so far in the off/pre-season set for another big year.. heard that from a mate who works for Freo Dockers when I asked specifically about Fyfe just the other day!

Fyfe wasnt even seen out with the majority of the freo boys who went out clubbing during their Christmas break! (Although if you’ve seen how hot his missus is, you can understand why he has no desire to go out!)

tkol

December 28, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Didak is a no brainer… meaning, he has no brain!
    No chance of starting with him, over the hill and finished as far as Im concerned!
    Good luck

Brappinalong

December 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm

He had a bad boobie- cut him some slack man!!!

tkol

December 29, 2011 at 11:25 am

Sorry mate just cutting him for good!

Zoostar84

December 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm

With Beams, Sidebottom, and Didak all mid/fwd I only want to start with 1 of them.
    With Collingwoods younger players improving I don’t know if Didak can turn back the clock.
    Didak burnt me last year.
    He would have to have a ripper pre season for him to be in my DT.

ManZzZoid

December 28, 2011 at 11:10 pm

This is no way Didak related, but how old is Deledio these days?… Is he becoming “Over the hill”? I suppose he will always be their go to man.

Sloth

December 29, 2011 at 1:15 am

Lids is 24, has won the rising star, is a duel B & F, and is the youngest tiger to become a life member and the quickest to reach 150 games in the clubs history.

worldcuppa

December 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Sorry to digress (and I’m going to keep banging on about this until people sit up and take notice)but has anyone out there realised that, with the ridiculous decision to go back to 2 on the bench on each line instead of sticking with 3 from last year, it will be MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to avoid at least 2 donuts over the 3-week multi-bye period ?

(Some people think that having certain DPP’s will help. I guarantee it won’t ! As a simple test, imagine what your team will look like after round and then imagine what your trades will be over the ensuing 3 weeks. End result: You cannot get 22 active players on the field for all three BYE rounds. You’ll either have 21 players for 2 rounds or 20 for one…go on….TRY IT…)

worldcuppa

December 28, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I meant to say, “..imagine what your team will look like after round 10…”

Sloth

December 29, 2011 at 1:16 am

odeyseus

December 29, 2011 at 9:36 am

Agreed, as far as I am concerned it is not currently possible to get through the three (3) multibye rounds without incurring a doughnut, nor do I think this is within the “spirit” of the game. However, as VS currently has prices etc., as provisional, I am expecting changes, probably more multi position players (MPP) in the rucks to give us at least the possibility of avoiding a donut in the multibye rounds. I guess time will tell what further changes VS have up their sleeve for us.

Warnie

December 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’m tipping they don’t make any changes. Unfortunately the player positions are determined by Champion Data so they won’t change. VS decided on these ‘rules’ to cater for the byes with donuts being a big part of those rounds. Limiting zeroes with a good team is going to be better than using stupid RUC/FWD strategies to make sure you don’t have a zero. To be honest I haven’t had a real good look at the byes and team structure, but I don’t want to be picking 2nd or 3rd rate players for the sake of it.

What a big season we have ahead of us!

Fabregas

December 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Sloth, totally with you there. Every off-season the brain gets excited about smokies, dark horses and various quirky picks.. But then inevitably end up ruling a line through nearly every single one of them on a risk v. reward basis and end up with largely the same safe-ish picks as everyone else! Thats why DT Talk is awesome i guess, we can debate why players rock the house/suck balls and it helps a lot with the decision-making process

Fabregas

December 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm

D’oh supposed to be further up the page..

FLOPITOUT1

December 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Thank’s for the response @ tbetta. Just cant get my head around a guy who is good value at 363k that had an average of 74. Apart from the Brown Dog its gonna be a mix of Premiums and Rooks for me. I wonder how many people will consider sideways trading this year. Imagine 1 of the top 10 midfielders going into round 3 with an average of 90. Its going to scare a few people