Deck of Dream Team

Deck of Dream Team 2012: Dayne Beams

The biggest DT news that has come out this month is the fact that Dayne Beams has been named DPP (Dual Position Player) as a Midfielder/Forward. After averaging a massive 102 last year… surely he now must be on your radar!

Name: Dayne Beams
Club: Collingwood
Position: Forward/Midfield
Bye Round: 12
2011 Average: 102
2011 Games Played: 14
Predicted Average: 103

Why should I pick him? Easy answer here… because he’s a forward/midfield! Last year Beams was named solely as a midfielder and had a massive 3rd season break out bumping his average from 87 in 2010 to the 102 you see stated above (another player supporting the 3rd year rule). During his 14 games in 2011, Beams averaged 24d a game and booted a total of 21 goals which probably is the reason he is named as a forward for 2012.

As a midfielder last year, Beams ranked 19th in the competition based on his average beating the likes of Jobe Watson and Jimmy Bartel. But if he was named as a forward… Beams would have ranked as the 3rd best for the year, beating super DT players like Buddy and Goodesy.

This leads us to the big question, will Beams be in the best 7 forwards by the end of 2012? YES HE WILL.  He came home like a steam train in 2011 averaging 124 in his last 5 home and away games for the year.

Now that Beams is listed as a forward, he is a must in any good dream team. He may not start in your initial line up due to his price, but if you are serious about 2012, he needs to be there at some point.

Why shouldn’t I pick him? Here are a few good reasons why you would initially pass on Dayne.

1)      His tatts aren’t anywhere near as cool as Swanny’s.

2)      He is very expensive. He’ll be listed as the 3rd most expensive forward. Dearer than Buddy, Goodes, Fyfe, Cloke…

3)      He only played 14 games in 2011 and missed many games due to injury. Since debuting in 2009 he has only played 75% of games.

4)      He shares a bye round with the likes of Chapman, Stevie J, Goodes and Fyfe. Depending on who you are eyeing off… resting them all that week will hurt you big time.

Deck of DT Rating. KING – Maybe he should be a Queen here, but based on his 2011 average and his 2012 price, Dayne will need to maintain his 100+ average to even be worth your while in 2012. He will be expensive and listed amongst some amazing DT talent, proven talent who have done it before. Dayne did it in just 14 games… can he maintain this in 2012? I think he can and more importantly, I think he will be in the top 7 forwards next year. But at this stage I will not be starting with him due to his massive price from 14 games. But mark my words… I’ll be ‘beaming’ him up as soon as he drops! Boom Tish

FOLLOW: @CalvinDT in Twitterland for chat and Q & A

Do you need a Captain? Then Calvin will help you out. Don't want a Captain? Calvin will tell you anyway. The man who digs deep into stats will help you pick a great captain and give you plenty of Fantasy advice. Follow him on Twitter: @CalvinDT

RandomPickaxe

December 16, 2011 at 7:23 am

Hmm, fascinating Calvin. Beams wasn’t even on my radar before, but if I can play him forward, and as a DPP, I’m going to have to give him serious thought. Might even be a better option than Cloke.

Zoostar84

December 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Exactly my thoughts. DPP Forwards that score like midfielders are Gold!. Even considering Sidebottom if I don’t choose Beams

tom

December 16, 2011 at 7:51 am

Is it just my imagination or didn’t he get dropped at some time last year or were all the games he missed due to injury?

Dirty Tactics

December 16, 2011 at 8:02 am

He was omitted after Anzac Day

stkildathunda

December 16, 2011 at 12:06 pm

and dropped for the Grand Final ;)

RLGriffin

December 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

From memory he was actually told he was going to be picked in the Grand Final, and stepped a side because he wasn’t feeling fit enough. Hopefully he has had a good stint of time off to heal, and if he can continue he run towards the end of last year, he could push to a 110 average, especially now that Davis has left.

GJayBee

December 17, 2011 at 8:39 am

I can confirm this. It’s part of my painful memories.

benno

December 16, 2011 at 8:35 am

Did he also have a game late in season where he got subbed out after racking up only 2 handballs or some shit b4 half time?
    How can some one go missing that bad?
    Was there an explanation for it?

4. Warnie

Warnie

December 16, 2011 at 8:40 am

We’ll find out very soon that Dayne Beams (as long as he’s playing and scoring well.. duh) is a must for our Dream Teams. There is an exciting new rule in regards to Dual Position Players which makes them, and their placement in your team, much more valuable in 2012. Stay tuned.

PurpleArmy

December 16, 2011 at 8:53 am

Have to agree with ya Calvin. Bit pricey for a 3rd year player who only played 14 games last year. My forwards consist of Stevie J, Fyfe, Christensen and Tommy Walsh (with a round 12 bye) so wont be looking at him till maybe round 13-14. Im strongly considering him as an upgrade target

Totto

December 16, 2011 at 10:21 am

Sorry Beamer, I will be going the more cheaper option… your teammate Steele Sidebottom!

swanlow36

December 16, 2011 at 10:33 am

The best news ever heard and should I go Beams and Sidebottom or just one of them?

fightingfury

December 16, 2011 at 10:37 am

I’m thinking Beams may be a lock for my forward line. Not so keen on him as a midfielder. That new DPP rule is certainly intriguing.

9. feathertopDT

feathertopDT

December 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

Pass
    If Mitch Robinson is Forward DPP i’ll go him instead

Semisonic

December 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m honestly considering starting this guy ahead of Buddy. Roughly the same price but start of year is the difference.

Buddy – Coll (MCG), Gee (MCG), Ade (MCG), WC (Patersons), Syd (Aurora), StK (MCG).

Beams – Haw (MCG), Ric (MCG), Carl (MCG), PA (Etihad), Ess (MCG), Dogs (Etihad).

This would be the first year I’d start without Buddy. Am I crazy?

7ator

December 16, 2011 at 11:17 am

If Beams was guaranteed to play every game, id consider him above Buddy, but only playing 14 games last year is a concern. Buddy is a lock for the Hawks when not injured or suspended. Having said that, i think ill have both in my team

thommo

December 16, 2011 at 9:37 pm

There’s nothing wrong in omitting Buddy. He can be frustrating with his suspensions and you just know he will be suspended during the multibye rounds!

However, his difficult start is not a reason to avoid him as he performs well against tough sides like Collingwood and was ok against Geelong in 2010. From memory Gold Coast was one of his worst performances.

On the other hand, don’t be surprised if Dane Beams struggles to make an impact against Hawthorn in Round 1. With their new game plan, Hawthorn kept other sides to very low overall dreamteam scores.

7ator

December 16, 2011 at 11:15 am

Dusty Martin, Goldstein and Beams all with a predicted average of 103……….lol

McScoundrel

December 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

haha 103, not too high to be seen as obviously delusional, not too low to promote outright dismissal, not a tidy even number nor a denomination of 5. The Goldilocks number.

7ator

December 16, 2011 at 11:53 am

It’s Juuuuuuust right.haha

Adamant

December 16, 2011 at 11:31 am

I wish I could fit Beams in, but my FWD line already has 4 outs for round 12. However I will strongly consider him as an upgrade target from rounds 13+

The x Factor

December 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I will be getting beams in rnd 13….

maybe for tommy walsh?

magpies01

December 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm

definetely on my radar, especially if he has a strong pre-season and gets stronger and fitter. i think he’ll continue developing along with Sidebottom and Wellingham (2 other players who i’ve got my eye on) and become a premium mid/fwd. hopefully his not too expensive because right now he’s not a premium yet, but you can’t say he’s a mid priced player.

Nooie

December 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Nearlly a lock. Here is my mid-forwards.

Dane Swan, Gary Ablett, Nick DalSanto, Steele Sidebottom, Tom Mitchell, Anthony Miles
    BENCH: Dylan Shiel, Dayne Zorko.

Steve Johnson, Lance Franklin, Dayne Beams, Nathan Fyfe, David Zaharakis, Jonathan Brown, John Anthony BENCH: Jason Porplyzia, Jeremy Cameron.

Thoughts???

James

December 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Thumbs up for choosing Jeremy Cameron. Patton on a budget, and a lot of good things have been said about him.

Zoostar84

December 16, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Beams

is young
    has DPP
    smashed it second half of season
    plays for a top 8 side

Although I am little concerned that he only played 14 games last year he did play 21 games in 2010 and average 87 in his second year.
    Many of the top forwards are around 30 years old (think Chapman, O’keefe, Gia, Goodes, Pavlich, Harvey)
    There are only a limited number of young forwards that are proven scorers over the past few seasons and Beams must be considered.