DT TALK

First week trading… is it a no-no?

Trading is what can make a Dream Team coach come undone. You can start with a good team, but with a few stupid trades, you’re back down where Warnie is. And that aint pretty! Is there some benefit in trading this early in the season?

That's what Ed Curnow looks like for those who just think of him as a number on your Dream Team!

These first two weeks of AFL Dream Team can be very handy for us in setting our teams up for the upcoming season. Back in the day, we used to have 3 rounds before the head-to-head games and we were able to correct some mistakes. Most of us, however, are gunning for the car… and all mistakes will come at a bit of a cost.

So player prices change after a player plays three games, in most cases that will be after Round 3. Normally the advice is to hold trades… but there are some tactics in using them over the next two weeks. So we get a bit of a chance to use the 4 trades on offer to ‘fix’ some mistakes.

It might be a rookie you missed out on. Maybe jumping on Nick LowerLuke Tapscott or Ed Curnow is a good thing if you missed them. Shaun Atley to Curnow could be a winner. If you have an injury like Jonathon Brown (8 weeks) or Mark LeCras (10 weeks) could get you to someone who smashed it last weekend – like Ryan O’Keefe.

I am all for this, but I also like to back my selections in. Nathan Foley made me tear out the last few remaining hairs on my head. But I’m not dumping him because he had the shits. I’m in for the long haul (or at least until Round 10 when he becomes Gary Ablett!).

Unless you have serious problems, hold your trades this week. Get an extra week of data to make your decisions with. What happens if Tapscott is the substitute this week, Curnow just knocks out a 30 or Lower gets injured. That takes me to my next point… DO NOT TRADE UNTIL FRIDAY!

There have been plenty of people who are trigger happy, like our mate Monday Mark who trades when he wakes up on Monday mornings and he is over DT after 10 weeks normally burning his 20 trades.  Think about your trades, plan them out… but don’t do it until Friday! Anything can happen. Back in 2007, there was the Ricky Petterd Rule (click here for that disaster). Who knows what is around the corner.

So, what trades are you considering to ‘fix’ your team? Or are you holding your trades? Or… have you already committed a DT sin and traded already this week?!

Co-captain of DT Talk since inception in 2007. Finally had a good season with an overall ranking of 137th for 2018... next goal is to replace the dirty old trucker hat with an AFL Fantasy one! Follow on Twitter: @WarnieDT

sanchez

March 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm

im thinking getting rid of rhys shaw, he burnt me this week.. i didnt know about heppell but he looked like a jet on the weekend and it would free me up a load of cash

McScoundrel

March 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm

sanchez, did Heppell play in midfield or off a half-back flank?

the gherkin

March 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm

How could you not know about Heppell….

McScoundrel

March 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Forget about it…its a long story…did he play in midfield or off a half-back flank in r1?

sanchez

March 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm

he played off the half back flank.. played off of higgins and gia done well

RedNBlackAttack

March 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm

HB flank

McScoundrel

March 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thanks sanchez.

sanchez

March 29, 2011 at 9:09 pm

i knew about him but i didnt know about his form coming in to the season

Phoenix898

March 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm

WILL J SELWOOD PLAY THIS WEEK?
    ??????????
    ??????????
    ??????????
    ??????????
    ??????????

james_10

March 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Here’s my starting team for round 2.

DEF: Goddard, Gibbs(C), Deledio, Bruce, Grimes, Lower, Stanley (Duigan*, Otten, Hibberd)
    MID: Swan(VC), Boyd, Bartel, Cornes, Curnow, Harris (Swallow, Heppell*, Pittard)
    RUC: Cox, Jolly (Smith, Derickx)
    FWD: Franklin, Sylvia, Johnson, Riewoldt, Krakouer, Matera, Richardson (Knights, Prestia, Darling*)

Gibbs is only captain because of playing against Gold Coast. I really ant to get Sandi instead of Jolly before he goes up too much.

tfizzle

March 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I’m considering making Gibbs my C this week also? Should be able to continue last weeks form against The Suns this week. Didn’t think i’d be tempted to take the captaincy off Swan at all this season!

the gherkin

March 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Interesting choice putting Harris on field……know something the rest of us dont?

Not sure how much more Sandi is going to go up………

:P

March 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I’m going for league this year and this week im playing the one other guy in the year level who takes dt seriously he scored 2200 last week and I scored 2050 I had selwood and Hurley in my team he had neither
    I saved 140k so can upgrade anyone I like
    Or I could downgrade someone to curnow and upgrade another to a gun but thats a waste of TWO trades
    I think I’m going to upgrade one of my mid priced players to a gun just don’t know who yet

knickers

March 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Doesnt matter how meny points you get 1st round..If you run out of trades mid season …your gone…

jaydoss34

March 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm

what are everyone’s thoughts on the gold coast boys? are you starting any on the field? and any idea on who the sub may be…?

tfizzle

March 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I am bringing in Stanley to cover for Otten. Will have Duigan as emergency and Toy as my 3rd Back reserve.
      Will bring Harris in for Gaff. Will have Heppell as my Emergency and Prestia as my 3rd Mid reserve. Also have Smith & Matera in my squad.

However by lock out i may have changed that to Duigan and Heppell starting on field and Stanley/Harris as Emergencies.

magpies01

March 29, 2011 at 4:56 pm

who should i start on the field, Matera or Richardson??

Brappinalong

March 29, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Matera

knickers

March 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Agreed..Roos play the Pies this week so Matera.

daz_patto

March 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm

it is absolutely imperative that everyone trades this week………

richo_rocks

March 29, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Conca or Harris on the field?

Dark horse

March 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm

If harris is playing put him because conca has a hard game against the saints

richo_rocks

March 29, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Is Harris under an injury cloud?

Dark horse

March 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Not that i no of but its gold coasts first game and they might suprise us with who they play

CheeseBalls

March 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm

back on topic –

nice writeup… fellow pickle-head

i made one trade this week already. dropped Helbig for Curnow as one of them is obviously shite. will probably do 4 more trades over the following 2 weeks and make sure I get the right cash cows to build up my team value for future trading. i know a lot of players like to save their trades but I have always used a few up early to get the right settled team and then only trade to cover long term injury and at the business end of the comp.

anth80

March 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I lost Easton wood on the weekend to what appears to be a 6 to 8 week injury.. Should I keep him or trade him out for someone else?? ie Stanley….

Warnie thoughts??

triggywiggy

March 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

beermee

March 29, 2011 at 10:56 pm

triggy – retarded, 4-5 weeks

Leroy

March 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Im not trading this week.
    But Yarran best do something this week. PRICK!!!!

Flying_High

March 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Talked out of O’Keefe due to friends. Should have ignored the idiots.

thommo

March 29, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I dropped O’Keefe for GOodes like many others, but remember last year when he scored well for only 4 weeks before injury slowed him.

Swapping Fyfe for Yarran was not one of my greatest moves and may be swapped back post round 2.

whitey_20

March 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm

already got franklin but thinking of getting rioli in for browny

jb

March 29, 2011 at 10:51 pm

with so many good high scoring rooks this year why not trade brown for a rook and look to upgade to a gun after there first bye ie j selwood.. you may lose maybe 20 – 30 points a week but u will make a stack load of money..

whitey_20

March 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm

what selwood? what price range do you think to downgrade to?

jb

March 29, 2011 at 11:22 pm

i said j selwood.. downgrade to tapscott if he has another good game as it’s a good indication he will score well all year not just a one off.. than you can upgade one of your midfield rooks to j selwood as his price should drop 40 or 50 k after his played 3

whitey_20

March 29, 2011 at 11:27 pm

sorry didn’t see that. yeah I already got j selwood and tapscott

jb

March 29, 2011 at 11:37 pm

oh well thats a shit plan than lol probs just go for cyril or okeffe than.. as waiting longer than next week to trade browny out is too long and there aren’t really any other fwd rooks any good maybe darling if u don’t have him but that’s bout it..

marcus_2011

March 30, 2011 at 6:26 am

hey guys,scored 2113 first round,looking at downgrading heath shaw to hepell and using the 200k to upgrade my rucks(cox and hale starting,smith reserve)cant see shaw getting big scores with the lack of ball going into the pies defense this year,any thoughts appreciated

Shane_o_85

March 30, 2011 at 10:03 am

Shaw has always been too inconsistent for my liking anyways. Maybe hold off until after round 2 mate. Just because a team is good doesn’t mean their defenders won’t score well. Quite the opposite, that is why they are good, because they are good at clearing the ball from defence efficiently (Enright- geelong), (Gilbert, Gram – Saints) all great DT scorers from 2010.

dadsninjahole

March 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

Good grief… Collingwood defenders wont get much of the ball? This isn’t the U10s when a team that thrashes another team means the ball doesnt go past half-way. Look at Mackie, Enright, Gilbert over the past few years, just to name a few.

Good grief – one of the worst things about Dreamteam, is people who have ZERO knowledge of football can still play and do alright… Good grief.

dools

March 31, 2011 at 1:12 am

lmfao!! Thats gold

Shane_o_85

March 31, 2011 at 1:19 am

I hear ya DNH. Football knowledge and DT knowledge seem to grey out at times…..how did that clown get 2100? Probably just copied one of the teams from the “rate my Dreamteam” blog.

buddyyeah

March 30, 2011 at 12:07 pm

So i usually go against common practice and allow myself a few trades before prices start changing. this week i am thinking of getting rid of Everitt for a cash cow, im choosing between McKernan and r.tarrant…. thoughtts……

The Gambler

March 30, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I was lured into the Yarran trap by a mate who is a blues nut and rated him very highly… Problem is he killed the nabs to back up my mates arguments… Which, in hindsight were silly because in the top level he’s being pulled out of position because of the tactics used (not used in nabs)

Now the issue is because Carlton are playing the Suns can you really make an accurate decision on whether to keep Yarran if he has a good game???

I won’t trust his good form if he has a good game, but if it’s a bad game it’s pretty obvious!!!

spidey

March 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I know trading after round 1 is a no-no, but I think i need to right my wrongs.

I had Astbury as my 5th backman. I was seduced by his NAB Cup form. I can’t see him being the 60+ point player I had hoped.

I have a heap of talent in the forward line, so was thinking of downgrading one of Didak, Franklin or Reiwoldt to Tapscott, which would allow me to upgrade Astbury to Enright.

2 trades in the first week. What do you all think about that?

baconb

March 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I’d probably not bother playing out the season.

bravo

March 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Who would u guys trade in for JB? ROK looks like an obvious choice or take a punt on a midranger or even a rookie?

FWD Line is:

Goodes, Stevie J, Volt, Boomer, ?Brown?, Yarran, Knights, Darling, Matera, Richardson

baconb

March 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Lecras!

bravo

March 30, 2011 at 3:28 pm

not helpful at all baconb!! LoL

or wud u guys hang onto him in the hope he returns sooner than what has been estimated?

baconb

March 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm

get rid of him!

Woolfy

April 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I like the look of Zaharakis, The bombers look up and about under Hirdy. Plus he’s a DPP

ken oath

March 30, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I have the Frenchman (LeCras), my mate is hounding me to get Fyfe, what do you reckon? I was going to bench him and wait until round 2 is over to see some consistancy with players, but initial thoughts?

arbot09

March 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I’d wait to see what tapscott scores, if he gets 70+ i’d trade for him

ken oath

March 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’ve got Tapscott already

arbot09

March 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Well mckernan then

arbot09

March 30, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Would you suggest trading the injured Easton Wood for Robbie tarrant? Or someone else? or keep Wood till he returns?

YorTimeupmytimeNOW

March 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Yep, Johnno Brown’s out, So wither i trade for a rookieor O,keefe. looking at the form of all the forwards I might as well save some cash and hit up a rookie

Ronaldo

March 30, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I’m probably going to do;
    In: Stanton and Zaharakis
    Out: Anthony and Goodes

Mumbles

March 30, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Yep, get rid of Anthony and Goodes.
      Both had below average scores first up.
      It also helps bringing in players on the same team
      because they can kick it to each other!

Woolfy

April 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Looks like a panic move, surely it’s too early for something so drastic?

swanlow36

March 30, 2011 at 7:46 pm

The Assistant Coach has Boyd with a breakeven of 175 and Goodes BE score of 132. Do we need to be worried of a high price drop or just keep them until the end of a season despite a high round 1 breakeven score.

thebestHT

March 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm

bit of advice…. curnow or conca for last midfield spot this week? was easy last week with gold coast player loophole but this week… what do you reckon?

dools

March 31, 2011 at 1:17 am

against the suns you’d have to think Curnows a great chance to back up that form wouldn’t you?