Deck of Dream Team

Jimmy Bartel: Deck of Dream Team 2011

It appears that Dream Team’s favourite son, Jim Bob Bartel has become the forgotten man of 2011. Well I’m here to remind you how good he is, before it costs you a double trade. This is the final Deck of Dream Team for this year. Hopefully they have helped keep your DT brain ticking over!

• Roy

Name: Jimmy Bartel
Club: Geelong
Position: Midfielder
Bye Rounds: 6 (Multi bye) & 22
2010 Average: 105.4
2010 Games Played: 21
Predicted Average: 112

Why should I pick him? Why shouldn’t you pick him? That is the question! oh, that is the next question, you would think I would have realised that by player 52 in the deck of DT. Anyway, there are so many reasons to select Jim Bob as a premium mid this year. Firstly, he is the ever reliable Jimmy, barely misses a game (2 in the last three years), he tackles heaps, loves junk time to boost an already awesome score (occasionally saving a bad one), he is consistent (dropped under 90 only 3 times last year), can pump out huge scores (4 scores over 130 last year) all this and he has been playing 3rd, even 4th fiddle. What if their new coach hasn’t forgotten that Jimmy Bartel is a Brownlow Medalist and re instates him to the place he won it…. predominately in the midfield. The last couple of years, Jimmy has been thrown around like a piece of rubbish, always in the shadows of Gazza and Selwood. Bomber Thompson even played him as a tagger at times last year which is a complete joke and waste of talent. The positive thing is that two of those three are gone, and the remaining one will cop the hard tag 90% of the time, leaving Jimmy racking up huge possessions and scores.  A couple of years ago Bartel started to develop a reputation for a lock as captain when Ablett was out injured. In 2008, Gazza was missing in round 17 and 18 when Jimmy pushed out scores of 144 and 147. Could the be a sign for post Ablett potential?

Why shouldn’t I pick him? Over the years Jimmy has had mixed results against hard tags. When I have seen Jimmy fail DTwise against a tag, the Cats have usually been up by heaps anyway and Jimmy’s efforts/ DT scores often reflected a lack of need to break the tag. The Cats will rely on him a lot more this year however and he will be forced to break it (when it occurs). Jimmy has a small history of letting coaches down as captain. In the last two years he has scored a below par 60 when all indicators were that he was going to smash it and a definite captain option.

Deck of DT Rating. Ace – Jimmy is the forgotten man of DT this year. Keep a very close eye on his pre season because if Scott is going to unleash him back into the middle consistently, and allow him to finish quarters across half back, he will smash his personal best and reinstate himself in the handful of true elite DTers.

This is the final Deck of Dream Team entry for 2011. Thanks heaps for reading and get excited, because tomorrow we get to start making our teams for the new season! Make sure dreamteamtalk.com is where you head to after logging into your new team!

TheRavalle

January 31, 2011 at 6:20 am

More interested in getting a decent overall this year and dont care too much about leagues so Bartel is highly likely to start in my midfield this year…….great way to end the deck….WD DT TALK!

feathertopDT

January 31, 2011 at 6:53 am

well done boys you’ve given me a few that i never even thought about in the beginning

2. feathertopDT

feathertopDT

January 31, 2011 at 6:52 am

With Ablett gone he should become the number 1 tagging option but also the number 1 midfielder and with blokes like selwood, ling and others around him i dunno. I think i may just stick with Cross

Smithy

January 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Selwood will get the number 1 tag, not Bartel.

GJayBee

January 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm

True Smithy, but how do you tag a guy who is running head first at the ball!

The Man

March 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Ling is past it. After watching him in the pre-season there is no doubt about it. Bartell will now be the tagger. Not good for his DT ability.

Gghippo

January 31, 2011 at 6:53 am

Great write up Roy – He wasn’t forgotten about for my team… Every year he seems to be an automatic selection without giving it too much thought… I don’t know why? And until this Deck of DT post I’ve never pondered why? I guess over the years I’ve come to love his consistency, durability and ability to pump out big scores. He also had the uncanny knack of doing this out when my other mid premiums had failed. And when he chose to have an off day himself, it was only when my other mid premiums had blitzed it… This is what makes Jimmy the ultimate team player…

If you look at his average over the last 4 years it has been on a decline… but I can’t see this continuing. Last year he was tracking around the 110 ppg mark, before the elbow dislocation… If he comes back strongly from his post season operation, he should be back up to that average again this year. Meaning he is underpriced and represents value.

So out of loyalty… My mids structure will have him from the start…. Which is lucky – because it means I can move on to other DT dilemmas. Where other coaches will have many sleepless nights as they ponder their Geelong starting mid premiums from Bartel/Selwood/Chapman or the unique option of Joel Corey…

grunner

January 31, 2011 at 6:58 am

Boyd or Jimmy for my second mid spot at the moment. I am pretty sure Selwood is going to get the number one tag, and hopefully Jimmy moves back into the middle… although, he does slut it up along the half back line too.

Nails

January 31, 2011 at 7:47 am

I can’t select Jimmy simply in case I accidentally put the c on him this year and he f**ks me over like last year….

That plus his declining average scare me, he’ll need to smash the pre-season to earn himself a spot.

tkol

January 31, 2011 at 8:19 am

Its been a great DT Career for JB, you could say he is the man responsible for taking stats to the next level.
    The DT MID Guns have passed Jimmy, however i am scared of opponents who will have him against me!

jarod

January 31, 2011 at 8:24 am

Definitely a watch – but I just don’t know how I can squeeze more Geelong players in my lineup without the multi-bye round 6 destroying my national ranking.

Jimmy Bartel DT Scores 2004-2010: http://www.fantasyfooty.net.au/player/Jimmy_Bartel

PieMan

January 31, 2011 at 8:24 am

Jimmy was a member of my team since the start last year and ended up being a premiership player so I do have a soft spot for him.
    BUT this year I am going to go with Joel Selwood ahead of him.
    Good write up Roy :D

Anyway thanks Warnie, Calvin and Roy for 52 great deck of dream teams.
    I can’t wait for in 15 and a half hours time when dream team opens!

eeepobreci

January 31, 2011 at 9:00 am

Nice write up, Roy, Deck of DT- “Ode to Jimmy!”
    Super DTer, Gun, Jet, Superstar.
    I feel Jimmy is the “forgotten,” man because he can be damaging to coaches attempts to win Overall and/or League!
    In rnd 6, where Gee, Haw & Freo have their bye, (IMO, the worst multi-bye round of the year,) there will be SO MANY DT guns missing in Action, & who wants to go into a DT final having to cover for him in rnd 22, along with any other Geelong guns one may have in their dreamteam.
    Aside from Ablett, Swan, Boyd & Montagna have superceded Jimmy as Capt. choice-perhaps another reason?
    New coach/gameplan, & Gazza’s absence will be interesting how it affects his scores.

Great Stuff boys of DT TALK for keeping many of us fantasy footy nutters, from going insane!!!
    Extremely informative articles, many DT “deckers,” that I and many others, never even considered.

P.S. Not long to go now, (bye-bye Countdown clock-or does will it get replaced with one, “UNTIL DREAM TEAM STARTS!”

bailz66

January 31, 2011 at 9:11 am

Nice write up boys and yep he’s locked into my squad this year already!

Thanks for all your hard work this year, i read every article ;)

Warnie

January 31, 2011 at 9:15 am

Cheers! It’s been fun. Looking forward to tonight for the real stuff to begin!

Jimbob has been a forgotten man of this preseason. There is a little unknown, but surely Ablett going is only going to be for the better! Perfect age, has runs on the board. Locked!

tkol

January 31, 2011 at 9:51 am

How did the Cricket Match go? I hope it was a great success!

I rocked up after work around 4:30 and you blokes had left.

Being a love songs man i just made a donation and left!

Off the point for a sec only 14 hours and 8 mins till the saga continues!

WOOOO HOOOO!

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 9:13 am

Pass – New coach, new plaing style, no Ablett

I just think there are better options this year

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 9:18 am

Happy Dream Team Eve everybody! :D

tkol

January 31, 2011 at 9:55 am

OMG!

I cant wait to just look at the team jumpers!

feathertopDT

January 31, 2011 at 11:19 am

i cant wait to win my league….. again!

horse

January 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

locked in as my 3rd mid. pretty certain his scores will improve with no ablett, selwood might be the one who takes a hit as he will get the number 1 tag. jimmy still avoids it and should be put back into the midfield. only a few more hours woooo

Monaco

January 31, 2011 at 10:18 am

Jimmy put simply is a DT god. First player picked in my side past 3 years. Even before I named my son after him. :) One of the first to have a truly elite Avg.

Another player to consider is Joel Corey, injury interrupted season last year and can Avg well in the 100s when fit priced at about 93 at the moment, like Jimmy should be able to step out of Gazzas shadow and step up.

Black Klaw

January 31, 2011 at 11:24 am

What about his dodgy knee though…? I remember about two or three years ago having the ABC combo in midfield – Ablett, Bartel and Corey. Set and forget, they were good DT times..!

Has anyone heard the preseason reports from Geelong aobut Corey?

magpies01

January 31, 2011 at 10:36 am

Locked in my team. Plan on keeping him for the whole year. Gun. Absolute gun.

ProudLion1991

January 31, 2011 at 10:44 am

Monaco did you name your son James with the nickname Jimmy or just straight out Jimmy? Haha.

Monaco

January 31, 2011 at 11:02 am

Oliver Bartel actually!!!

feathertopDT

January 31, 2011 at 11:20 am

my sons middle name will be Judd :)

Phil Ken Sebben

January 31, 2011 at 11:44 am

Haha get this: My 21 and 20 year old brothers are named -NO KIDDING- Luke Ablett ….and Billy Brownless….
        Have a guess what side I barrack for? Lol ;)
        The scary thing is the old man loves Jimmy even more!

jim cowski

January 31, 2011 at 1:30 pm

my respect for you has gone up tenfold.

super renga

January 31, 2011 at 11:04 am

its either jimmy, selwood, or pendles

C@sh C0w

January 31, 2011 at 11:13 am

Him or Boyd?

Tetris

January 31, 2011 at 11:35 am

I’m going with 3 premiums, 1 cheap, 2 rookies this year… Which leaves me with a problem.
    I’d love to have Bartel in my team, but I’d have to get rid of Swan. One of my Premiums (Gibbs) is my DP defense, and one (Chappy) is my DP forward, all so I can swap players around in case of injuries and byes.

Can I really afford to get rid of Swan?
    Me thinks not

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 12:00 pm

12 Hours to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EMM

January 31, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Does anyone know if it begins at midnight or at a certain time like 10am?

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 12:13 pm

midnight

EMM

January 31, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Thanks, and on the topic of Bartel doesn’t he have an elbow injury, the same elbow he did last year? Would be a bit of a risk IMO.

tigesboy13

January 31, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Lads any news on the use of the subs this year?

How’s that guna affect some of our boys’ averages?

Thought you might be able to sniff it out..!

westy1

January 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Was just on the news that subs will be named 90 mins before bounce-down, will screw with DT no-end if you don’t know which of the 4 interchange will be sub until after lock-out!!!!!!!!!

eeepobreci

January 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I’m that bloody excited, I hope I dont call my team the “Midnight Maulers.”

Ronaldo

January 31, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thinking of upgrading Anthony for him.

swanlow36

January 31, 2011 at 12:49 pm

One final player you haven’t mentioned yet- Daniel Menzel: This bloke will breakout in 2011 and will be certain for a round 1 debut. All you need to know about him is how he does in the ‘NAB and if he averages 87, lock and load!! Don’t be fooled by his 49-point average last year and it’s only 11 hours to go!!!!!!!!!

jim cowski

January 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm

ahh jim bob. one of my favorite players.

im thinking a 118 average for 2011. in other words- LOCK and O’LOAD

played the 2nd half of last year with that crook elbow. this affected his scoring imo which means he is underpriced. will play midfield predominantly this year. get on board.

great stuff guys once again. its been fun reading.

Fatty McButterpants

January 31, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Going for a league win so can’t start with him. Thanks DT Talk for getting us through the footy drought!

housn

January 31, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Wasn’t sure where to post this…

Clubs will need to officially name their substitute – who will wear a green vest while on the bench – when the final teams are lodged 90 minutes before the bounce.

Which means we won’t know who the sub is before lockout.

FMDT.

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 2:39 pm

yea read that before…but atleast we’ll know the friday night games

eeepobreci

January 31, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Well that just lowered my excitement factor by 3.1415926%.
      Aye Carumba!!!

housn

January 31, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Mmm, pi.

Speaking of which, definitely looking at Pendles this year. And Bartel. Can’t wait til midnight.

eeepobreci

January 31, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Me too!
          Bartel/Sellwood 1st mid upgrade after rnd 6, Pendles after rnd 13, that’s the early plan!

Nails

January 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I’m putting my balls on the line and starting with Pendles and leaving Swan out…

Reasoning: Pendles will be a 110 avg gun this year imo…

It’ll cost me a fair bit extra to upgrade to Pendles rather than to start with Pendles

Whereas if I Pendles and upgrade to Swan it won’t really cost me anything, as Swan won’t really go up, maybe even cheaper…

Therefore Start Pendles Upgrade to Swan = save money

I don’t want have to fork out 50k more for Pendles when he’s killing it this year…

GreenStreet

January 31, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Nails mate i was in your league last year and from memory finished 2nd. give us a shout out when you get a code mate :)

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 3:08 pm

“This week also marks the launch of NAB AFL Dream Team and the various other fantasy AFL competitions around the land.

Vapormedia is the Australian company that has built the engine behind pretty much every AFL fantasy game and is so even-handed when it comes to its respective clients that it insists that every competition is launched on the same day, February 1.

So tomorrow (Tuesday) is day one for Dream Team and all the other games there are.

Dream Team is so huge that there are already 47,000 pre-registered participants for 2011. For them, Tuesday is Christmas Day.”
    ———–

NAB AFL Dream Team????????? Pretty sure it’s still Toyota AFL Dream Team!

Nails

January 31, 2011 at 4:19 pm

It’s whichever company that sponsors it Dream Team..

It’s only Toyota Dream Team if Toyota sponsors it again this year?

I haven’t paid attention to sponsors this year but maybe it could be NAB Dream Team? Cash prizes this year? :)

Brappinalong

January 31, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Bartel, love to have him but my 3 prem mids are locked n loaded.

Off topic for a second are the random public leagues going to be separated between those going for overall and those going for the league win? this has prob been covered before but I just don’t understand how the multi-bye points aren’t included for the league players

GJayBee

January 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Bartel is a champ but has the wrong bye for me.

Thanks for the Deck boys! I’ve had a few laughs and eighty seven freaking fan planner teams because of it hahahah

Seriously, I have a with Sandi team, a with Gibbs team, it’s just horrible the combination’s I came up with!

dockerone

January 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm

It’s down to Jim Bob and Selwood for my 3rd mid spot. It will be interesting to see what difference Scott makes…

ProudLion1991

January 31, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Not going to lie, cash entices me more than a car. WIth cash there are just.. so.. many.. options..

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 5:16 pm

yeah. I’d prefer cash too.

LeatherHed

February 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Gold Bullion?

hados

January 31, 2011 at 5:18 pm

hey guys just wondering if it will open 12am local time where ever you live or it will be 12am melbourne time.

Robdog88

January 31, 2011 at 6:01 pm

i would like to find that out to hados

Nooie

January 31, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Noooooooooo! Last Deck of DT! Well done guys it has been fun. Bartel is a lock ‘n’ loaded.

7 and a half hours to go!!!!!!!!

TIGERS19800

January 31, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Here is some early cash figures

Brendon Goddard ($471,000):
    Dion Prestia ($128,500):
    Tom Lynch ($103,800):
    Ian Callinan ($80,400):
    Jack Darling ($92,500):

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Ive got an icepack on my foot atm because when I saw Harris’ price I fell out of my chair!!! Thats VERY cheap for someone who averaged 106 in the VFL

TIGERS19800

January 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Heppell and Otten are cheaper than expected.

I agree Petrie is almost being held to ransom for that amount.

Harris is now coming into calculation at that price he is almost being given away…

But wait with every Dane Swan purchase we will throw in a Daniel Harris for free.

Thats right if you call in the next 10 minutes….

eeepobreci

January 31, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Harris was my smokey- hardly featured in fanplanner teams!
          Teams will be ridiculously similar now!
          Now its really all about trades, injuries & luck.
          Otten is super cheap too!

andyjh

January 31, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I thought id have a unique mid with harris & iles & no swallow! I think every1s gunna have him now :(

eeepobreci

January 31, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Got an extra $78,000- largely due to Harris’ amazing $70,000 price drop!

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Dr Dream Team’s team………….certainly think most people here and other places would be a better “expert” than he is.

But 33 players he has listed he has included the prices…….there are some shocks….good and bad. But I think we’re going to have a lot more money to spend than expected!!!

PieMan

January 31, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Petrie is way more then I thought so that is disappointing.
      How cheap is Harris!?!?!?!?!

Benatration

January 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Petrie hasn’t got a discount which sucks. I thought he’d get a 20% one…..I was secretly hoping for a 30% one1 But he just got his 2010 average multipled by the magic number!

Harris has to be a lock. Biggets lock from the Gold Coast for sure

Black Klaw

January 31, 2011 at 5:56 pm

So cheap, he just got a gig in the Black Klaws.

TIGERS19800

January 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

2011 Toyota AFL Dream Team Launch – Live Chat with Dr Dream Team
    The 2011 Toyota AFL Dream Team competition will officially open at midnight on 1 February.

TIGERS19800

January 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm

The only important bit is:

Robdog88

January 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm

will dreamteam actually be opening at 12 tonight or will it open like a couple of hours later and will it be opening nationally at the same time or on local time

Ike

January 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I’m back!! I’ve finally woken up from my DT hibernation over the preseason… looks like I’ve got a heap of reading to catch up on with our Deck of a Dream Team, gotta improve on my 657 from last year. I reckon there should be a place to see where we finished throughout DT history, would love to see the improvement over the years.

Bartel will be in the side at some stage throughout the year for sure, always is.

Anyway, love the work boys… good to be back!

Nooie

January 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I think some rookies are a rip off; Dion Prestia 128,500, Dyson Heppell 132,500 and David Swallow 160,500!
    Were going to be in my team but price is a bit pushy.

dockerone

January 31, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Petterd is way dearer than FP had him – takes him out of my team now I think…