Deck of Dream Team

Jack Grimes: Deck of Dream Team 2011

I have very fond memories of Jack Grimes. It was Round 14 in 2009. I had taken a group of students to Melbourne to watch some AFL… only 5 kids wanted to go and watch Melbourne vs West Coast, but it was a day they won’t forget as Mr. Warne Dawg got very excited about every one of Grimesy’s 142 DT points he racked up that day!

Name: Jack Grimes
Club: Melbourne
Position: Defender
Bye Rounds: 5 & 16 (both multi)
2010 Average: 81.9
2010 Games Played: 14
Predicted Average: 90

Why should I pick him? In 2009, Jack Grimes was one of the better picks of the season, despite only playing 11 games. He knocked up an average of 89.2 points with some big DT games: 4 tons including a massive 142 against West Coast that I saw live. It was one of my proudest moments as a Dream Team coach. Watching this bloke I purchased for under $100K go out and do that. It was bliss. In the first 14 rounds of 2010, his output didn’t match ’09 however he still had 6 games over 85 with a big 128 against the Cats. Grimes certainly is a Dream Team player. He runs around racking up possessions in the back half averaging double figure kicks and almost 6 marks per game. It’s not out of the question that he will be spending more and more time up the ground. He has been training well and is now in the Melbourne leadership group. This promotion shows the faith the club has in the 21 year old.

Why shouldn’t I pick him? Injuries have plagued Grimes’ career to date, so durability isn’t all that healthy. These have mainly been back/hamstring related which has kept him to only 11 games in ’09 and 14 games in ’10. But at the moment, he is tracking well and having ‘a full preseason’. He can also go missing in games. In 2010, consistency wasn’t great with 4 games under 60 points. Frustrating for all owners.

Deck of DT Rating. QUEEN – If he can stay fit, an average of 90 isn’t out of the question. He will mature a lot as a (Dream Team) player this year. A very good call for a coach going for the league win as Melbourne’s two byes are multi-bye rounds. For those going for the car, Round 16 could be a bit of an issue if you’re looking at players like Otten/Broughton/Duffield because Adelaide and Fremantle share byes then and cover in the backline could be a bit limited by then. I’d love to have Grimes because I know he will be a DT slut for the next few years… and as someone put on his profile on FanFooty, he could be the next Joel Bowden. Now that would be awesome!

Nails

January 17, 2011 at 7:52 am

A man can only love so many injury prone sluts and well, I’m afraid Jack Grimes is just one injury prone slut too far for me.

That plus his byes are inconvenient.

tom

January 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Inconvenient byes? what are you on mate, they both fall on DT bye rounds

The Man

March 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm

There inconvenient if you are attempting to score as many total points for the season as u can. Which is how DT should be played. So if u have guys like sylvia, cox, goodes, o’keefe etc it start to limit ur ability to pick more players of the same clubs having byes.

housn

January 17, 2011 at 7:53 am

I’m desperately trying to work out how to fit this guy into my side. My backline currently starts with Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Broughton, Waters…

So, I think with Grimes priced at 82 already, he might end up being an upgrade target to become my sixth back at somewhere around round 6-8. I’ll be gunning for the car – moreso than the league – so while his price might move around a little bit, it shouldn’t be by enough to scare me into picking him up from the start.

Magpie Mayhem

January 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

Quite simply…….there are better options.

The Man

March 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Like Heath Shaw> he will average 100 this year

jarod

January 17, 2011 at 8:07 am

With Bruce leaving the Demons, Grimes will own the half-back sweeper role at Melbourne and with their expected overall improvement, Grimes should reap the benefit and pump out some big scores.

Having said that, he is too injury prone for me to consider in my initial team. There are better premium back options (Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio and even *gasp* Brady Rawlings).

I will be watching Jack closely and be looking to upgrade to him sometime after Melbourne’s first bye.

Having failed to play more than 14 games in any one of his three AFL seasons (see http://www.fantasyfooty.net.au/player/Jack_Grimes) he is too risky for mine, but then again, he could be the risk that wins you the car…

Black Klaw

January 17, 2011 at 8:47 am

Stop plugging your site making it look like you are providing stats!

housn

January 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

Well, at least he’s being a part of the ‘community’ here and not just spamming. He makes good points about Bruce, the alternatives and what he plans to do with his own team.

Could be a lot worse and I don’t think he’s taking anything away from DTTalk.

Black Klaw

January 17, 2011 at 11:33 am

touche

Gghippo

January 17, 2011 at 8:38 am

Thanks Warnie – Hmmm… I hadn’t really considered Grimey… Probably because I’m considering Adcock and Broughton… and there are only so many injuries one coach can stomach in a season. So at this stage I’ll be passing – That said, it is only early days and a couple of amazing NAB cup games from him and watch me get suckered in.

fightingfury

January 17, 2011 at 8:43 am

I think I will be passing on Grimes this year. Just a bit too expensive for my liking. Mind you, he is going to be an absolute gun eventually and that may very well begin this season. Probably an upgrade option for me.

demonator

January 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

I have penciled him in. Grimes if fit will be future star, Quater back of the backline. I can see myself getting sucked in. Bias I guess!

Chook

January 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

I’m with you Demonator. I’m finding it hard to prevent my excitement at a potentially awesome season by the Dees corrupt my DT thinking too much. Currently have six of them in my fanplanner team, although it’ll be more like three or four by the time round one rolls around.

Great write up, Warnie. Although you missed a digit off his predicted avg. Should read 190, not 90. :)

Black Klaw

January 17, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Definitely a star about to break out – he’s priced at 82 and could easily average 95 +

The point made about Bruce’s departure will definitely play into his favor although I know he can rack up the possies quick but can he handle a tag? He plays a similar role to that of enright’s at Geelong and teams looked to shut down the players who provide run from half back.

Having said that I reckon he will improve a fair bit.

I am currently tossing up between 2 of these 3 players in my defense but can’t decide:

1. Deledio – $371,200
        2. Broughton – $370,900
        3. Grimes – $340,200
        (Prices according to FF)

Deledio: averaged over 95 during 2008 & 09 two years ago and is priced at 89… The Tigers keep adding to their midfield brigade and the younger crop are continuing to get better which will take the onus of the tag off Lids, he did play that more sweeping defender last year – I see more of the same role this year also with rotations through the midfield. Consistent and durable and now a DEFENDER!

Broughton: Played 15 games 2 years in a row with averages of 87 & 89 respectively, racks them up across half back all day. The Freo game style that encourages that run from half back is good for Broughtons DT scores. If he can play a whole season he should be a reliable, consistent scorer that could potentially increase a little bit but I wouldnt think he has as much as potential as the other 2 to increase.

Grimes: as mentioned priced at an average of 82 but has potential to go much bigger. Averaged 89 in 09 Grimes still hasn’t had a full run a a season and when he does he is going to kill it. Always comes out of the blocks hard in games and many times I recall seeing him in the mid 30s at the end of the first quarter only to end up with 60 odd for the game. He will mature though and run games out more. A lot of potential value here, many people have been burned by him before too which could make a few steer clear of him. Can be inconsistent and injury prone.

After reading over this analysis I think that I have convinced myself that I am going with Lids.

demonator

January 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Chook, when are we going to see your rooks?

Chook

January 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Would like to see some NAB actio before running the rule over this year’s crop, Demonator. Having said that, the boys’ Deck Of DT has got me addicted in January once again, so will no doubt get stuck in soon. I’ll have a talk to the boss (Warnie).

Warnie

January 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Chook, you have a green light to write whatever/whenever! You’re a literary genius!

demonator

January 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Ah good looking forward to reading what you say about some young talent

Warnie

January 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

An average of 190… LOCKED!

Chook

January 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Like you said they said “the new Bowden”, but he gets the 180s week in, week out, not just once or twice a year.

magpies01

January 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Pass, better and safer options.

TheRavalle

January 17, 2011 at 11:56 am

Grimes is a tough one….he is in my fanplanner side at present but with a big question mark after his name!!! I do think he will get his body right and either this season or next explode into one of the very best defenders to have in your side…………When faced with Grimes, Otten & Adcock it becomes really risky though…..I know some will go in with all three but I am not really keen on that………at Ottens price if he has a sound preseason I think you have to pick him which leaves either Adcock or Grimes…….Adcock is cheaper but cant see him quite getting to 90+ av which is a keeper in DEF for mine…..whereas Grimes……priced at an ave of 82 could well average that and more………argh i just dont know!!!

straw

January 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I have had him in the Fanplanner team since he got moved into the leadership group. Club obviously has big wraps on him and I think he would have gone into the 90s avg before now if his body had been right. He’s in his 20s now and his body should be getting used to the AFL life. If pre-season goes well I think he’s a must for my team. I am going for league so the byes help his case for a starting birth in my side.

Benatration

January 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Like people have said – There are safer and better options. If you’re going for a league win and want to take a risk, then maybe. But no way for overall

PieMan

January 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm

He is LOCKED and LOADED!
    Believe it or not he was my 3rd player picked in my fanplanner side (after Swan and Goddard).
    Since last year I have been saying he will be in my 2011 team. I just have a feeling this is his year!
    I actually reckon he will average 95-100 and by the look at these comments he may once be a unique pick ;)

PieMan

January 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Good write up Warnie :)

aaron_11766

January 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm

totally agree pieman, could easily average 95-100, but in saying that i don’t plan on selecting him, the injury risk is too high for me, but very capable of averaging even 100+

TheRavalle

January 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm

it comes down to risk vs reward…..with this bloke I think the risks arent as high as the others because his body has matured abit and I think he will be sound……the reward….a dead set keeper…..Picking him when going for overall as previously stated is a pain in the arse with multi team byes however it can be worked around…..Duffield or Broughton IMO cant be picked if you are going with Grimes……..those two Freo players I think will both ave high 80’s again this year just cant see either going 95+ whereas I do think Grimes has the potential…..personally if he has a sound pre-season I am gonna back him in an improving (dare I say it) quite exciting Melbourne team this year.

aaron_11766

January 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm

mate broughton could easily average 100+ IMO. But yeah, if i was guaranteed jack grimes would be playing 22 games this year, he’d be LOCKED in, straight away.

TheRavalle

January 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Probably being from Freo I dont know Broughton as much so will happily accept that he could ave 100 – if you could expect him to play more than 15 games this year again he has to be on the radar……i cant fit both of them in there cause of the byes so it will come down to a gut feeling i suppose (chalk down another mistake coming up! lol)

mitchell12345

January 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm

can someone inform me on the vfl stats of sam iles, david swallow, maverick wellar and trent mckenzie?

thankyou

tkol

January 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm

David Swallow was absolutely awesome.
      5th in the league b & f

aaron_11766

January 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

heard he got runner up?

tkol

January 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Jack Grimes is an absolute football clone of Luke Hodge.
    The Aura and Vibe of this guy is that of an absolute champion, tough and talented just like Hodge.
    He will absolutely burst in Dream Team this year or next… i just cant work out which one!

TheRavalle

January 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm

So he is obviously a big show for the mighty kings of leon this year then?? or planning to wait and see with him

jim cowski

January 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm

i have no doubt about this lads scoring potential. 90-95 seems about right.

but he’ll miss games and has both of the multi byes.

quite simply…PASS.

AFFEL

January 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Another injury prone player.Durability is a big factor for me when selecting players.

Brown Dog

January 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm

PASS

With the change in rules regarding injury time – In theory players will now have more time on ground therefore be more tired and prone to injury…

Players with a history with hamstrings and soft tissue injuries will be very risky… the 2 byes helps, will have to see if injuries increase with this new interchange rule or if the game will adapt and play slows….

If history is anything to go by the pace of the game will only increase and therefore injures can only go up…

Unless these guys are priced at rookie prices then it maybe worth the risk otherwise its a big fat NO!!!

I’m willing to back that he will miss more than 5 games this year….

Better options elsewere

Phil Ken Sebben

January 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Haha, damn you Warnie, I’d blissfully ‘forgotten’ about Grimesy and the conundrum he poses!

My head now hurts again just thinkin about it! Hmmm…MASSIVE scoring potential Vs History of dreaded “back/hamstring issues’.

I think he will definitely be worth the punt for my league win side, but not for my overall ‘shot-at-the-car’ side.

One things for sure, I would be picking him ahead of Spud Adcock. Adcock’s body is just as unreliable but with far less class and scoring potential. BIG PASS on him!

Phil Ken Sebben

January 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm

That should read: A big pass on ADCOCK.

TheRavalle

January 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Part of me wishes that the bye was going to be here for more than 1 season now…..it seems that most are being very careful with their selections in regards to multi team byes and players from those teams when going for overall……I am not sure that it is that big a deal that you disregard players potentialscoring and benefits due to that…..Grimes is a perfect example…I mean yes it will take some planning to make sure that adequate cover is available when needed……but like every other player he has the potential to play 22 games, contribute 22 scores to your overall DT score…..if you think that Grimes can be in the top half dozen averaging defenders this year and especially being priced at 82 then I think that he could be a golden choice for overall in the long run

nb. this is not taking into consideration Grimes injury past or anything like that…..those are different reasons not to pick him and fair enough…….

eeepobreci

January 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm

And who thought Chappy would go through last season unhammy twanged???
    Will see how team balance shapes up, but there will definately not be enough room for all three of Grimsey, Adcock & Otten!
    50/50.

Cayman Cider

January 18, 2011 at 2:33 am

Yeah, but you could have said the same thing last year about Malceski, Waters and Hunt and that worked out pretty well. No complaints from me anyway.

Nooie

January 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Last year, he hurt me bad. I picked him up right in the round he got sidlned for the rest of the season!
    He is injury prone. That is only the REAL problem for me. Plus I am going for a league win so even better. But I got to be careful how many Melboune players I have.

GJayBee

January 17, 2011 at 7:15 pm

He’s in for me. Has the right bye’s, looks to have the prime back position and is a gun. The injuries are a worry but he is a little older and perhaps stronger! If he stays injury free, with Melbourne on the rise, I would imagine his average will improve. Accept for when he plays against Collingwood where I will accept his low scores for the greater good.

Hurl_the_Pears

January 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Can any Melbourne fans please confirm that he looks like he will play that similar Luke Hodge/quarterback role and not simply assigned to stay tight on a forward?

I know Frawley is the main man down back for the Dees, but if an opposition team has a 2nd or 3rd tall target will Grimes have to pick them up and not have as much freedom to run around/set up play?

Or do we have to wait till NAB cup to find out?

demonator

January 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Grimes won’t play on talls, first in line is frawly galand warnock ( if he pulls his finger out) then bartram plays on the smalls Macdonald on the mid size. So pretty has a license to do what he likes. I would say he would pick up he least damaging forward. Hope that helps

demonator

January 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I forgot to mention rivers aswell
        B- Bartram frawley garland
        H.B- Macdonald rivers grimes
        Emerg- warnock. I heard a rumor that newton will play down back this year

Hurl_the_Pears

January 18, 2011 at 1:25 am

Alrighty thanks I think you’ve just helped me make up my mind..

I remember my Dees-supporting mate isnt really a big fan of Garland let alone Warnock, but I remember seeing big Jared Rivers play last year.. how could I forget about him!

Dees backline looks like a good setup for Grimesy to be let loose and dominate!
          Locked and.. wait for it.. Loaded! ;)

demonator

January 18, 2011 at 7:00 am

I love garland first real season last year. Aparently he is training the house down, up there with the time trials. It a shame his not a dt slut! Warnock just gets beaten to easy