Deck of Dream Team

Club: Western Bulldogs
Position: Midfielder
Bye Rounds: 4 & 20
2010 Average: 115
2010 Games Played: 20
Predicted Average: 117

Why should I pick him? There are a small hand-full of elite premiums and most teams will start with at least one as a reliable captain option. Often when on this topic, the names Gazza and Swan come to mind, but too frequently Matty Boyd is left out of this equation. This guys is one of the best, he is very consistent and rarely lets his coaches down. Last year his worst score was 75 and apart from this, had only 3 more scores below 100 (one of which was 95). Boyd also has a high ceiling, last year recording impressive scores of 142, 143, 145 and 154. Between 2006 and 2010 Matty has missed a total of only two game, which occurred last year when he smashed his hand (still only missing two) when lesser men would have taken at least a month.

Why shouldn’t I pick him? The only reason not to pick him is if he doesn’t fit your structure, or you prefer one of the traditional premiums to hold down the number one midfield spot. I cant actually think of a bad thing to say about this guy….. hmm. Ah here is something, in 2003 he averaged 28 over 8 games, that’s pretty crap.

Deck of DT Rating. ACE – Who cares about 2003, this guy is an absolute jet. I think the chances of him decreasing in average are very slim and he may even push 120. He is a durable ‘go to captain’, that tries his guts out the whole game and will give you a four quarter DT effort. The icing on the cake for me is that he is a great tackler, reaching the grand total of 10 in one game last year (bonus 40 points).

demonator

January 13, 2011 at 7:03 am

Locked and loaded! I picked this guy up last year after Barlow went down perfect replacement! Can’t think of any reason why not to pick him

2. feathertopDT

feathertopDT

January 13, 2011 at 7:43 am

I’ll pick him over swan this year sounds stupid but for 30K less he can average bout the same

Nails

January 13, 2011 at 8:15 am

I’m trying to think…

Do I go Pendles, Boyd, Chapman and Anthony and hope Boyd/Chapman/Goddard/Voldt will be sufficient captains and pick Swan up after his two byes and get pendles before his average rises, he’ll be a star this year…

or Swan, Boyd, Chapman and Anthony… and use Swan as my locked captain…

This article is maybe making me lean toward the first… It’s tough. I want Boyd but I can’t afford to have both Pendles and Swan with Krakouer on the bench.

Boyd a sufficient captain? I think yes.

4820

January 13, 2011 at 8:15 am

For me it’s out of BOYD and CROSS to join Swan in the midfield. Leaning twds BOYD because he is cheaper.

Birdy

January 13, 2011 at 8:47 am

Boyd Cheaper than cross??

Bruce Dual

January 13, 2011 at 8:47 am

Boyd = Mr Reliable. First picked for me.

Blues_FC

January 13, 2011 at 9:59 am

Toss up between Boyd and Montagna for me. Both have the bye in round 4, and although I’d ideally like to start with both of them, I guess I’ll have to choose since I don’t want both of them out in the same round.

Might look to trade one of them in after round 4.

Brock

January 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’m thinking the same thing. Want to start with Swan, Boyd and Monty in the Mids. I’m going for a league win so might be worth it

swanlow36

January 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

Lock n load

bloods01

January 13, 2011 at 10:35 am

Absolute gun!!! I had him from Round 1 last season, and will do likewise in 2011…

PieMan

January 13, 2011 at 10:42 am

At the moment I have Swan/Hayes/Selwood/Anthony.
    But I am thinking of maybe getting Boyd in for one of Hayes or Selwood.

Good write up Roy

PieMan

January 13, 2011 at 10:42 am

Ps. I had him last year as well and he didn’t let me down ;)

Buddyman

January 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

absolute lock! Superstar and one of my most loved players

AFFEL

January 13, 2011 at 11:47 am

Im going league win so Swan/Boyd/Montagna for me

straw

January 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Same starting midfield I’m looking at. Pulled in Boyd last season when Barlow went down. Was a very good move! Like him as a player, love him as a DTer!

Coasters

January 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Swan and Boyd locked so far.

Leaning towards Bartel for my thrid, will wait and see.

Kegguss

January 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I usually under rate him. But not this year!! Locked

aaron_11766

January 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm

“Ah here is something, in 2003 he averaged 28 over 8 games, that’s pretty crap.”
    Hahahahaha, love it :)
    Ah yeah, turns out my swan, boyd, montagna combo is quite popular.. But I have Kornes as well so that makes it pretty unique :) good write up thoough

benno

January 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm

nice combo with cornes… why he is a unique stumps me?? if you want a consistant scorer he’s the man… according to fanfooty he played 22games the last 7 yrs.
      swan / boyd / cornes + Mitchell (some one else not many mention) anyone know why? is there a reason mitchell doesnt show up on ppls radar during DT Planning? he seems rather consistant. (minus the 2or3 quite average scores last season)

mainy.3

January 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Love Boydy, only issue is his bye that is at the same time as the saints and decisions need to be made.

housn

January 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, but when you’ve already got Goddard and Reiwoldt in your side (and surely, you must!) then it makes it just a little easier to choose a Bulldog instead of a Saint in the middle.

jim cowski

January 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

excuse the language, but he is a fuking jet.

i picked this guy at the start of last year (along with pendles), and he just kept on pumping out amazing scores.

super durable, captain choice, ultra consistent and a high ceiling- what more could you want.

100% lock for me.

Great write up.

TheRavalle

January 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Was thinking of lining up with Swan and Montagna but this bloke might be a better fit than Monty……..especially considering the comment about having Goddard & Riewoldt in the side as well.
    Good write up DT lads and good thoughts by the posters…..

magpies01

January 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm

There are 2 battles going on in my midfield
    Boyd vs Hayes and Bartel vs Hodge. Right now I’m leaning towards Swan/Hayes/Bartel but Boyd is a gun and he is definetely worth consideration.

jim cowski

January 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm

go boyd mate.
      he loves etihad stadium.

here are his scores from last year when playing there- 128, 154, 108, 75, 143, 116, 142, 117, 145, 112, 117.

if i remember correctly, the doggies are playing there 13 times this year.- JUMP ON.

now i havnt actually checked hayes’ stats like i have boyd’s, but that is because i cant be bothered.

Fatty McButterpants

January 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

FRUIT! Those are some awesome stats. I’m sold. Especially as the Dogs have a dream start – Essendon, Brisbane and GC, all at ES. That’s my captain sorted for the first 3 weeks.

Nails

January 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

A win vs the dons then a loss to the lions followed by a loss to the GC isn’t exactly what I’d call a dream start ;)

Drew Martin

January 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Another good point in Boyds favour is that the Doggies second Bye is the last round prior to DT finals – close enough to the real finals the threat of an additional “rest” is most likely gone

Fatty McButterpants

January 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm

That’s good and bad – I wouldn’t want Boyd on the bench if I’m needing a win to make the 8 or top 4.

mainy.3

January 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I suppose at the end of the day you are trying to get the six best midfielders in and trying to buy them at their lowest price. Guys like Ablett are probably going to drop a little, whereas Boyd is as consistent as they get so he will always be around the same sort of price, whether you pick him up now or in a couple of weeks his price should be much the same, its just whether the bloke you are picking instead of him can match or beat his scores, in that case I’d be backing Boyd.

timmy

January 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Benatration

January 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

So that means the magic number should be around 4,152. Looks like they’ve given him a 30% discount

maanco

January 13, 2011 at 8:39 pm

How did you work out that Benatration?

eeepobreci

January 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm

You don’t have to be Sigmund Freud, to know your team sucks, without Matty Boyd!

Nooie

January 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

My midfield so far is Swan, Bartel, Green, Hodge A.Swallow and Collins.
    Realy no room for him. Possibly in for Bartel? Who knows it’ll be decided when thhe real dollar value comes up

P.S Nice write up

Young GUNS

January 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

First pick last year and will be first pick this year.

Magpie Mayhem

January 15, 2011 at 7:41 am

There are many wise coaches commenting on this legend doggie, and if you absorb half of what thay are saying especially the jim cowski comment……………….he has to be a lock!!

jim cowski

January 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

you, my friend, can consider yourself a wise coach.

Gghippo

January 16, 2011 at 5:38 am

After last season, Boydy has proven his worth as a Bluechip Premium.

Ablett changing teams has made the decision on the initial team alot easier… Boydy is a lock for me…