Deck of Dream Team

Club: Western Bulldogs
Position: Midfielder
Bye Rounds: 4 & 20
2010 Average: 61
2010 Games Played: 7
Predicted Average: 88

Why should I pick him? If ever there was a breakout on the cards, I think it is this year with Callan Ward. After playing 19 games in 2009 at a solid average of 70, it looked as though a traditional 3rd year improvement to “King” status was on the cards, however only 7 games and a poor average of 61 have him sitting at bargain basement. Apart from the poor average and discount, what has me licking my lips the most is that in his last four matches he averaged an impressive 85. What I like even more than this is that three of those games were finals and haven’t affected his season numbers. The last four games produced two 100 point performances, the latter being a 30 possession effort against the Saints. Bonus features include that he is a great tackler.

Why shouldn’t I pick him? Ward can be a bit handball happy. In his last 6 games his handballs outweighed his kicks, which can be a concern. His 30 possession, 5 tackle (awesome) game vs the Saints in the finals only translated to 103, partly due to 19 hand balls rather than kicks. He had an increased role at the end of the year due to Higgins being unavailable, so hopefully his return wont have a negative effect on Ward’s development as a DTer.

Deck of DT Rating. QUEEN – I think that if he looks like getting a weekly game, this is an awesome smokey. I love the stats from his last for games, especially with 3 of them not affecting his low average. The added bonus of a discount due to minimal games demands the attention of coaches.

Holzman

December 20, 2010 at 6:10 am

My current midfield consists of Swan, Boyd, Anthony, Swallow, Gaff and Foley.
    however at 235k on the fanplanner he is just a little bit more than the top rookies.

im tossing up between going for foley or ward or potentially sticking another expensive rookie in like polec, caddy or prestia

RiseUp

December 20, 2010 at 8:08 am

Ward will be a very popular pick this year, I’m jumping on him for sure. The only downside is his hand balling. After having Jobe Watson last year I swore I’d never pick a handball happy player. Hmmmm. As for Axel Foley, he’s handball happy too, much of a muchness.

magpies01

December 20, 2010 at 9:27 am

Ward’s a great player but I think he’ll be a tad expensive. My midfield rookie is Harley bennel, should I get another?

Coasters

December 20, 2010 at 11:17 am

You’d be crazy not to pick Swallow

Noodles71

December 20, 2010 at 10:30 am

This guy has to stay on the park also.

magpies01

December 20, 2010 at 10:52 am

My current midfield is Swan, Hayes, Mitchell, Jack, Bennell and Gaff ( fanplanner)

PieMan

December 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm

After last year I am never picking Mitchell again.
      Yeah he averaged 100 or close to it but he annoyed me…
      Although he did get the Norm Smith Medal in my premiership win last year ;)

magpies01

December 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Changed it to Swan, Hayes, Dal Santo, Swallow, Bennel, Gaff

ProudLion1991

December 20, 2010 at 11:04 am

i am tossing up between ward & hamish hartlett (3rd year rule)

timmy

December 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

hartlett has a great DT game, but his constant injuries worry me, ward a safer bet, even though he is a big risk in his own right

PieMan

December 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

My current midfield on fanplanner is Swan, Hayes, Anthony, D.Swallow, Gaff and Polec.
    I am going with the guns and rookies this year. Petrie is the only one I’m getting who is neither.
    But you have now made me think about Ward… He is now one I am going to watch.
    But I don’t want to break my rule! AH! I don’t know, I’ll just watch him over the pre season and see what happens.

timmy

December 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm

YES you did one on him :) definitely locked away if he has a solid pre season. foleys injury worries are a bit worse, and well its either him or ward

magpies01

December 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I need some good forward rookies. I have Dion Prestia, but i need another. I also have Petrie as a cheap buy.

TheRavalle

December 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Luke Tapscott and Brandon Matera are 2 forward rookies that are on the short list to keep an eye on over preseason

TheRavalle

December 20, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Ward does look like a good inclusion at that price as the upside is huge. Didnt want to be looking at too many players in that price range (against the strategy I am employing next year) but an exception has to be made for this bloke……….maybe!!!

mitchie

December 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm

people will have to break the premium-rookie
    rule for this guy, could be the malceski of 2011!
    has anyone thought about mav weller from the gold coast
    he is a gun and would of went high in the draft if he wasnt one
    of the 17 year old pick ups GC had acess to

Bandicoot

December 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Will be interesting to watch the Sun’s early matches so we can get a feel for the likes of Weller and all the kids they picked up last year (as 17 y/o) that we know very little about.

Mucho-grande

December 20, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Hey guys

When you do Nick Riewoldt or Nick Dal Santo I heard there’s a couple of pictures on Facebook that you might want to use.

Should they get the Joker card rather the Ace card.

Bandicoot

December 20, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Being realatively new to this site, can someone tell me what the “thumbs up” symbol represents and how or why does it change from 0 to whatever?

AFFEL

December 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm

If you like a comment give it a thumbs up,click on the thumbs up icon.

Fabregas

December 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

Any chance Ward might be a MPP, as in MID/FWD? If he’s a straight out mid i dont think i’d get him (plan to have guns/rookies only in midfield) but if i can pick him up in another position then i’d strongly consider him if he is discounted nicely…

AFFEL

December 21, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Does anyone no if ward played in the international series?

Bandicoot