DT TALK

Friday Captains

What’s the best way to stuff your weekend right up?  Well if you’re having a party I wouldn’t suggest an open invite on Facebook…but I digress, the real way to stuff your weekend right up is to choose a Friday night captain.

After a long week at the grindstone all I want to do is get home, crack open a Boags and watch some footy. After that I want to enjoy a nice workless two days on the couch. This is what weekends are for, they are happy times, carefree times. Unless of course you pick a Friday night captain. When (not if) It goes tits up and your captain scores a 55 your weekend is instantly ruined.  Each time you look at your team for the rest of the weekend you see that pissant score sitting next to the big c and it brings you down. ..way down.  You can’t help but think what if….? How good would my score be if…..? By Saturday morning you will have already received 15 texts from league mates mocking your choice and then you have to watch the Saturday games through the cracks between your fingers while your mate’s captains rack up the double points. Swan is everywhere when you don’t have him.

Potential is the key word here. When you are doing your sums late on a Saturday night wondering if you are going to win your match it always works out much better if you have a captain waiting to play… so that’s ummm 300pts there from the captain, plus 7 players left that’s another 700, I’ve got this, easy! It makes the weekend worth living.  Nothing beats coming home with the big rush on Sunday…..love the Sunday captain. Normally your opponent will have been sprouting about how much they are killing you by so it makes it all the more sweet.

I don’t really care as much if my captain scrapes a 60 on a Sunday night. The weekend is already over, I’m already depressed enough about going to work on Monday so it’s just another drop in that ocean of misery. Plus who can even get onto the AFL DT site on a Sunday evening anyway? It’s harder than getting into the viper room or china whites. I reckon a mouse on a wheel is running the server Sunday nights. Also being a fox game it’s just hidden away, bad things can happen in the Sunday eve game and I’ll let it slide because it’s not really there for me to see in gory detail.

So that’s the big stat for the day, Sunday captains are the recipe for a happy weekend.

1. Roy

Roy

April 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm

i cant take credit for this article, i just posted it. warnie will give a name to the author this arvo. this week though, i have faith in the mighty swannnnnniiiieeeeeeeee!

Robdog88

April 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm

good article, i think ill be sticking with swanny though this week haha, but boyd is an option

Cal

April 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Good write up. Theory is 110% true unless swanny plays friday night however…

tfizzle

April 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Collingwood play the next 2 friday night matches. v Blues, v Tigers

Lexmanium

April 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Great point calum marshall happy 32nd for tomorrow

Zan

April 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm

SwanCaptain.COM all the way

rainman

April 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Great article.. i think we have all been there. My first 2 round captains square off on friday night Gibbs and Swannie… but think i will lock the big C on swannie for the rest of the year.

BTW… how long until ths thread turns into … should i get a Libba or Curnow topic?

I reckon before the comments gets into the 20s.

Warnie

April 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

There will be an article on that tonight. I will do one when I get home from work…

Robdog88

April 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm

wats the go on assistant coach, not to many articles going up on there

Warnie

April 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

4 per week go up on there (another 4 go up supercoach gold).

Robdog88

April 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm

ok thanks

rainman

April 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm

cheers Warnie

bobfossil

April 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

and, ‘is it worth downgrading swallow to one of these’. Oh, it’s happening already!

rainman

April 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

lol… nothing like a knee jerk!

adam182

April 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm

swannie will have us in dt bliss the next two weekends.. How about rounds 5 and 6? Footys on 9 out of 11 days across those rounds!!!! Very short lockout inbetween

adam182

April 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm

erm i mean itll be open for a short time.. Like a day and a half

Robdog88

April 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

round 5 has a thursday night game then next game is saturday so there should be a decent sized partial lockout youd think

Robdog88

April 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

yer sorry didnt see second post

tkol

April 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I wonder when the article about how I am actually a fair dinkum Dream Team Master who talked it up and actually won the Toyota & all ca$h leagues too will come out?

Robdog88

April 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm

probably at the conclusion of round 24 tkol

mtooler

April 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm

You’re going well. js for your rook mids is annoyingly going ok.

Goaled Finger

April 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I think there should be an article on me and my team. My 12 week/24 trade philosophy will revolutionise Dream Team play. It will be the Pagans Paddock, Clarkson’s Cluster and Vossey’s Fuckup of fantasy football!

By mid season I will have a team made up of the cream of the DT crop – Darren Glass, Jamie Charman, Daniel Merrett, Sam Lonergan and Matty Scarlett, just to name a few (not going to give away ALL my secrets, I have a car to win!).

Barony

April 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I just checked the top 50 for this yearso far and it seems they left you out of the list? Ahead of them all is the only thing I can guess…

swanlow36

April 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Swannie captain Friday and next week!!!

Will smash out a 180+ against Richmond in round 4.

juddy69

April 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm

anyone read the dr. dt article for round 2 on afl.com??? its pretty much just him talking about how good his team is doing after only 2 rounds. wouldnt be surprised if tkol wrote it actually.

barlow4brownlow

April 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

lol!

DT Anonymous

April 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm

What tkol’s Dreamteam name?

Robdog88

April 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm

its ‘the kings of leon’ i think

mtooler

April 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Yeah I read it, hes talking up his scores of low-mid 2100.

iamfantastic

April 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

he also seems to have a distinct advantage over us mere mortals, given that he reckons he has 7 emergencies

TrueBLUE

April 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

haha, yeah I just read that. He’s such a cock! I don’t care if he had 24 Swans in his team, he’s supposed to be a source of information – but it was useless drivel – and not a self-proclaimed celebrity. COCK!

j959

April 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm

i wish afl.com had kept Stanger and the Mayor … way better than this Dr DT crud …

odeyseus

April 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Loved “Stanger and the Mayor” – looked forward to reading monday mornings – thought I must have been the only one as it seems to have got the chop this year

Kuruki

April 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Dr Dream team is in one of my league’s it’s my first year and ive beat him both rounds. No1 at work will talk to me now. I think they underestimated me when they were giving me advice now they trying to feed me rubbish advice to cut me down. Little do they know ive developed the DT bug and this has been my 2nd home.
      505 overall and not looking forward to rounds 4 5 6 and 7.

Albert Lloyd

April 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm

GrandOldFlag

April 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Was pretty horrible to see Swan rack up that monster score after Goddard gamble didn’t pay off :( don’t have Swan, but Pendlebury/Boyd/Gibbs (hell even Rioli!) would have been better :S

tfizzle

April 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I know this is way off topic, but can anyone tell me if i can watch full match replays online anywhere? Being in Perth and not having foxtel doesnt make it easy to watch Melbourne games when the Eagles or Dockers get priority. Had a quick look at AFL website but could only find highlights.

odeyseus

April 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Have a look at bigpond.com.au under video afl you can usually find replays of all the games

odeyseus

April 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm

by the way if you are a bigpond user doesn’t count towards download usage!

Barony

April 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

No risk No reward

A. Monty to Gibbs so I can have 65k in the bank for an upgrade of Harris/Heppell to Swan after thier first bye at least.

B. Or Swallow to Gibbs direct swap and 9k in the bank

C. Or do I try and double swap someone to get Swan. Cant do a Gibbs and Swan upgrade unless I get rid of GOD.

Why couldn’t the two teams come in at the same time…………..

12. feathertopDT

feathertopDT

April 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Fuck U goddard

from now on i’m gonna put Swan captain and never look at it again!!!

until the collingwood bye that is

marcus81168

April 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Been playing Dream Team now for a number of years, always read Calvins Captains and I normally go by that. I had Goddard as Captain last round and that sucked. I never put Swan in my Team as he cost to much money, but this week I will be tradeing out A Swallow (Kankas) to D Harris then R Palmer to D Swan.

marcus81168

April 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm

D Swan as Captain nearly every week now.

G-Bangers

April 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Trade : Goddard for Enright before God drops massively in price and Enright increases with money in the bank for bye when there is multiple teams not playing …

G-Bangers

April 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Also the Saints have the bye round 4 , so make some money with the trade and God isn’t playing round 4 aswell …

Benatration

April 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Friday captains can make your weekend…but they can destory it (Thanks Goddud!)

CrimsonRaven

April 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm

At least Pendlebury is tearing it up as well though. Didnt get Swan cause I thought Pendles would improve more, but so far it looks like they both improved. Never picking Goddard captain again though. Every time I’ve picked him as my captain (3 times now) he has a shitty week.

Samsa

April 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I think the fatiuge factor has kicked in, some stars will have big first halfs then finish poorly just like Goodes and Reiwoldt(double/triple teamed at times) in round one.

About swan and pendles, i honestly see them as must haves, who ever doesn’t have both already should get them after collingwood’s first bye.

Samsa

April 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm

“Don’t worry about who Calvin predicts, resist the urge! Your mental state will thank you.”
    I find that so true, poeple can’t expect calvin to do your captain selections for you.
    I’ve taken a risk the last two weeks by not following “the crowd” as i like to say by going with murphy 127,129 even though it is not as what gibbs and swan scored i’m happy.

G-Bangers

April 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Very true Samsa , trust your instint people ! I’ve gone with Gibbs the first 2 rounds and have absolutely no complaints ;-)

21. Brak

Brak

April 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Boyd vs Gold Coast is an option for those like me who hate the friday night captain this week

G-Bangers

April 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm

i agree completely , i think Boyd will tear GC apart !

Magpie28

April 4, 2011 at 6:21 pm

How ’bout Libba? They might bench Boyd if the Dogs are a mile in front.

macca9

April 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Never mind trying to get onto DT site on Sunday evening – I got home from work Fri, had half an hour till lock out, thought I’d change my emergencies. Clicked on E, all went blank – I then spent half an hour trying to get on the site again while watching the lockout time get closer. Finally got on 10 mins after lock out and found I had 2 fwd emergencies and no mid – won’t be going on Fri night again!!