Fantasy Freako

Fantasy Freako: Pre-season Rave #2

The only place to get the Dream Team scores from NAB Cup and NAB Challenge matches is in the Fantasy Freako’s Pre-season Rave. Sign up at www.championdata.com.au to get the newsletter delivered to your inbox every Wednesday. A must for your DT preseason study!

The second Fantasy Freako Pre-season Rave is out now for your viewing pleasure! It includes all of the Dream Team scores from the completed NAB Cup and NAB Challenge games.

In it you will also find a “$ per Point” figure to help find some value and some of the Freako’s players he has on his Radar! Plus other hot tips to help you with you Dream Team preseason!

If you haven’t signed up to the Fantasy Freako mailout, then head to championdata.com.au and get on board! This PDF is more of a “must have” than Dane Swan in your Dream Team!

Click below to download the second preseason rave:

www.championdata.com.au

1. Teckst

March 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Winning!
    (before first posters)

2. Lenny

March 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Love your work Freako!

3. reconfigrr

March 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I would like to take this time to make a formal apology to ROY. I bagged him during the round 1 NAB cup campaign for considering Nick Lower in his team, afer his disgraceful performance in his first game of the NAB cup. Nick Lower has since played some very good football, forcing me retract my comments about ROY’s potential drafting of him. I have been forced to eat humble pie, as after Lower’s last 2 performances I have since drafted him to my own team. I hope you can forgive me ROY :D

• PieMan

March 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Lower is locked and loaded!
      What a gun!

• whitey_20

March 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I would love to have lower in my backline however i already have broughton.. and thinking it probs wouldn’t be wise to have two freo dudes in my defence. Also considering i already got two from one team in my defence (gibbs and duilgan)

• DToholic

March 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Despite playing ordinary footy in the NAB cup he still managed to gather 10 disposals in each of the mini games. His decision making and disposal was the quiry but from all reports it has improved!

• Fast Eddie Betts

March 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Disposal and decision making irrelevant champ – No points for decision making or hitting targets in DT. Providing it isn’t so shambolic that it stops Harvs from giving him a game…….

• DToholic

March 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Yes that’s what i was getting at dick. head. I was implying that despite playing ordinary footy (as stated by “reconfigrr”) he still displayed dream team potential by getting a lot of the ball.

• DToholic

March 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm

And despite getting a lot of the ball, it wasn’t looking very likely that he was going to get elevated due to his deficiencies.

• Fast Eddie Betts

March 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Thing is – it is looking likley he will get elevated… Do your research champ…..

• Fast Eddie Betts

March 9, 2011 at 7:20 pm

DTholic I mean if you and reconfigrr says he played ordinary footy and he has poor disopsal and makes bad decisions with the pill – well then it must be right !!!

• swanlow36

March 9, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Lower locked and loaded but the big problem comes in round 6…..

• DToholic

March 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

shut up c**t

• nomnomtom

March 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm

mate no need for keyboard warriors

• tom

March 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Who should i drop out of poupolo, coad and stanley to make room for lower? and why?
      please reply

• PurpleArmy

March 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm

some say thay Puopolo is fighting with Cheney for a spot down back. Dont know if thats 100% true myself but could limit games

• thommo

March 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Probably not the answer you wanted, but I am seriously considering dropping the three of them! Stanley hasn’t turned it on as I expected, Coad isn’t a big possession winner and Puopolo may not play. Even if Puopolo is named for Round 1, he may be dropped if he debuts poorly, which would be a shame because I love the way he goes about his footy.

• TeeTee

March 10, 2011 at 8:07 am

My bench is biased towards mature-age recruits. I see marginally better cash cow value in m/a recruits like Lower, Duigan and Hibberd (and possibly Puopolo depending on job security). Of course, this will chop and change once the R1 lists are out… :)

• SD

March 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

still rookie listed so needs to be elevated

4. housn

March 9, 2011 at 4:42 pm

The other thing that would be really help would be TOG stats.

Deledio’s score (49) looks a little ordinary, for example, unless you knew that he was a half-time sub (which he was). Still, Freako’s report is a very useful tool when there isn’t a lot of data around at this time of year. Excellent work.

• Mezzoculo

March 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Same again with Fyfe but I guess he can’t do everything for us!

• DToholic

March 9, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Scroll down to the twitter insert on the freo page and it says that Fyfe played only the second half and had 23 disposals and 72 DT points! Definately some food for though!

• Mezzoculo

March 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm

That’s what I mean – I didn’t have an opportunity to see the game so wasn’t aware that he only played a half!

• jb

March 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm

shit yeah i watched the game new he got a fair bit of it but didn’t know he had 23 touches that is insane !

• Skooper

March 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm

How do you find out TOG stats cos its pretty misleading otherwise…

• thommo

March 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Would be great if DT talk started a page where people who watch games can report on who only played a half of footy??

Warnie

March 9, 2011 at 8:43 pm

That would be the NAB Chat/Discussion thing on weekends. If anyone gets to NAB Challenge games, then feel free to email in reports!

• thommo

March 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Yes, I would love to know if mid-price players like JPK played a full game (only scored 42).

5. PieMan

March 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Love your work Freako! :)
    Irons is a perfect replacement for Callinan ;)

6. JT

March 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Will Enright cope with a tag?

• Fast Eddie Betts

March 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Three time All Australian, Dual Premiership player who averages mid 20 disposals over his career – suggests he handles tags okay….
      Enright is no different to any other player who plays that half back sweeping role, at times he will get a negating fwd sent to him. Lewis from Hawks did it once last year with some success. Fact is Enright won’t be tagged every week, and will still average over 90DT points a week in my opinion.

7. sonic

March 9, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Great work Freako!

I’ve been watching Brennan Stack considering his fantastic performance last week, but wondered why his
    “Trial your team in the NAB cup” points on the Dream Team website were listed as 20 not 102 (or doesn’t the NAB Challenge score come up)

Loving Nick Lower too, just hope he gets elevated from the Rookie list for the season proper.

Cheers,
    Sonic.

8. whitey_20

March 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Viv michie anyone??

• sonic

March 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Yep….Michie’s locked on my bench!

• SD

March 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

rookie listed again

• goodgod

March 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

on senior list according to website…

9. b-rye

March 9, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Is any1 else jumping on Palmer?

• Justin

March 9, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Palmer and Cotchin look ready to explode, but their price is just so awkward.

• McScoundrel

March 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I agree Justin. I’m having real trouble justifying players that might have a breakout season and are similarly priced. My dilemmas are Leroy Jetta, Nathan Fyfe and Mitch Duncan. I don’t think any of them will depreciate but it would be nice to gain $60-$80+ before they get upgraded.

Any wisdom concerning Gilbert, Deledio or Broughton would be appreciated. I’m getting a headache mulling them over.

• Quanzo

March 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Those three players, plus Cotchin, Palmer and a couple more have all been on my radar as well. Trying not to get sucked in to what could be just good NAB cup form that doesn’t end up translating into home and away success. Picking the one or two of those awarkwardly priced players could easily be the difference between a good team and an elite team this year.

• sonic

March 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I had Gilbert, Deledio and Broughton, then got rid of Gilbert as he’s not performing.
          Deledio hasn’t been on fire through the NAB cup / challenge but I’m sure he’ll pick it up.
          Broughton scored 94 last weekend and that’s gold in my book….so he’s locked.

The rule I’m following this year is anyone you are 50 / 50 on get rid of.
          Makes for an interesting starting 22, as long as its backed up with some logic from the Freako!

Cheers.

• Fast Eddie Betts

March 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Hey champ bit hard for Deldio to be on fire in NAB series when he has only played a half of footy. By the way in that half of footy he racked up 49 points. So I would say he is looking okay. Don’t read too much into NAB form of proven players they are all on manged programs, gaem time tailor made to be cherry ripe for RD 1.
            Maybe do some research matew, before making such a sweeping unfactual statement

• Fast Eddie Betts

March 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I disagree, if you are picking up a Duncan, Cotchin or Palmer you are doing it in the hope they will be a keeper. So essentially you are hoping to get a premium player for $280,000 to $310,000 instead of paying the premium price of $400,000 plus. So they are not awakrdly priced at all, just a matter of if you trust your judgement that they could have a breakout year and average enough to be keepers.
          If you are spending $280,000 to $310,000 you aren’t using them as cash cows or upgrades. One of two things will happen with mid range priced players they become keepers in which case you are giggling or else they will stink it up and average 70ish in which case you need to cut your losses and trade them down to a rook or up to a premium. Essentially if they are averaging well enough to increase by 70K there would be no need to trade them as if a player with a starting price of around $280,00 to $310,000 increases in value by 50-70K they must be averaging around the premium mark anyway. If they average around their price of say about 70 a week you are stuck !!!!
          That is the mid priced category quandry they aren’t cash cows – if you pick one you need to back it in they become premium or else you need to waste a trade to fix the problem

• McScoundrel

March 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Great points Fast Eddy Bets. In previous years, a forward who has appreciated $60-$80+ would have been gold and hard to bring yourselft to upgrade. However, this year, with so many dpps and seemingly great rookies, $360+ forward dpps can be subbed into the midfield for upgrades to truly premium midfielder scorers like Ablett and Montagna earlier than usual. I think this year the good teams will be a pack of premiums gorging on the opposition.

I’ve scrapped Gilbert for now. I might opt for Deledio rather than Broughton…its toss a coin really I think.

• geoff1968

March 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I have cotchin in mids and duncan in the forward line…hope they will be keepers

10. sheppard12

March 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm

thoughts on how much mitch duncan will get a go this year?

11. swanlow36

March 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Love it as always and it’s great the NAB cup is here to stay!!!!!!

12. Brappinalong

March 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm

In “THE BEST OF MPP’S IN 2011” section it doesn’t list one B. Harvey, perhaps the forgotten man completely- he isn’t in many DT teams either!!

• Iamlegend

March 12, 2011 at 11:38 am

Yeah I think people are scared because hes getting older hes not going to get any better and can only get worse from here.

13. Skooper

March 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I just swapped Slyvia and Knights for Crothin and Fyfe…right move?

• McScoundrel

March 9, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I liked Knights for his upgrade potential but it seems he’s struggling for fitness/form and I eradicated him from my team. Sylvia’s one of my first choice upgrade targets…I didn’t know he scored so well last year…he seemed to have a tough time of it, but tallied right up there with some of the league’s better midfielders.

I’m starting to think I’m not the only one wrestling with the Cotchins and Fyfes. As Fast Eddie Betts has said, its just a case of backing your judgement and hoping.

• Skooper

March 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I had Sylvia last year and everytime I needed him he wasnt playing so Im a bit relieved to see him go. I still have Morton, Duncan and Shuey to decide on…and Zaha

14. ProudLion1991

March 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm

The problem with picking mid pricer players who you think will become keepers is that they very rarely become actual star premiums.. some might average 90, but you will always be losing that 10 points every week by not having a mother f**king rick ross the boss keeper like chapman/voldt who will always avg 100.

• Dr Frasier Crane

March 10, 2011 at 8:24 am

“mother f**king rick ross the boss keeper” – totes funny!

15. kingy

March 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

hmmmm salopek at 297k, does anyone know if murphy only played a half?

16. Bruce Dual

March 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Anyone know whether JPK played a full game or half for his 42?

There are a lot of these midpricers tempting us now. Don’t think you could have more than one of Cotchin, JPK or Palmer in the MIDS.

17. SloppyJoe

March 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Who the f**k is Zephaniah Skinner?

18. chucky

March 9, 2011 at 9:06 pm

for arguments sake, lets say you have

swan ($511,200) who averaged 123.1 and melksham ($246,800) who averaged 59.4 for total score of 182.5 for your $758000

compared to

rockliff ($362,200) who averaged 87.2 and boak ($394,100) who averaged 94.9 for total score of 182.1 for your $756300

now personally i think there is more upside to a boak and rockliff as appose to swan and melksham. as i can see rockliff and boak increasing there average where i think only melksham will increase his average.

anyones thoughts please

• PrimeTime

March 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm

u will have swan captain every week puming out his usual monster score

• PrimeTime

March 9, 2011 at 9:16 pm

jsut take swan with a rookie that will ave 60 and its alot better option

• chucky

March 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

as i said its just for arguments sake, something to think about.

still a bit undecided about rookies this year with not many showing to much to write home about yet.

• imofm

March 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

you’d only select Swan if you have him as captain…double points…that’s your answer.

but if you intend appointing someone else as captain then you’re probably right.

19. rainman

March 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Sammy Mitchells numbers looked good and has been on the radar for awhile…but….

I currently have A Swallow and Murphy in mids… thoughts on best combo out of the 3? I want 2 of them

20. Leroy

March 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm

have a few queries about krakour in peoples starting teams.
    there is a few reasons why im thinking of not getting him.
    1. he has gone to a premiership side. A team that already had alot of depth.
    2. Consistancy?
    3. Hes the type of player that is perfect to be the substitute.

i have my worries and at the moment i dont have him in my squad at all.
    But could change

• chappalenkoubeauty

March 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Leroy, bruddah.
      Every premiership team has a minimum of 2-3 changes the following year to try and improve.
      From a DT perspective the question is, are there 2-3 players in front of Krak who didn’t get a gig in last year’s Granny?
      I would say the answer is no.
      Get him, take the cash and pray he has a touch of Barlow magic to become a keeper.
      (Play him fwd.)

21. whitey_20

March 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm

you got 832 grand to spend on premium mid and fwd. who do you spend it on?

• Skooper

March 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I have a question – Im comparing the last 13 games of Marc Murphy and Tom Rockliff who had averages of 100(Marc) and 97(Rockliff).

Im thinking Rockliff was a rookie, thats why I took it from the last 13 games as he had to settle first. I think his best is yet to come unless he gets tagged, which is Murphys upside I think as Judd will usually take the tag. Not sure if Rockliff will be targeted but with a few big guns in the Brisbane line-up missing to GCS, I think its plausible…

By choosing Rockliff over Marc I will be gaining $52,000. Is that enough $$$ to warrant such a bold / retarded move?

• Skooper

March 9, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Sorry, was supposed to post, not reply

• whitey_20

March 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm

haha it is okay

• Skooper

March 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I’d go Cross and Riewoldt anyway :)

• McScoundrel

March 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Pendlebury/Goodes

• swanlow36

March 9, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Pendlebury of course.

• PurpleArmy

March 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

unless you have swan then goodes

• Flying_High

March 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I’m a big fan off the DPPs which I reckon will work out who wins the whole tournament and I don’t think two premiums from one club in one position is smart (Swan). So I would go Goodes. Even though Pendlebury is the better DT scorer.

22. chucky

March 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm

ARE there any rookies who are must haves because i certainly dont see any.

what are peoples opinions. who are there

• rainman

March 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Would say Richardson and Mzungu both have big upsides.

Also have wayched the bombers games closely… as much as hate them…Heppel and Hibberd can both play and should play 22.

Can see them averaging around 70.

Duigan will also play every game for the baggers.

Not excited by any others though

• chucky

March 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm

i do agree with mzunga.

do the others have that much upside. score dont look to great

• chucky

March 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm

with the exception of duigan he’s scores seem ok

• rainman

March 9, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I guess it comes down to how much stock you put into NAB cup.

I believe it a snapshot of what is to come.. some sides and also some players tend to put their heart and soul into it.. while for others the opposite seems to be the case.

This weekends games should be interesting with clubs likely to field closer to their best 22.

At the moment have locked the 5 that i have mentioned but will be watching this weekends performance closely.

23. Skooper

March 9, 2011 at 10:07 pm

• chucky

March 9, 2011 at 10:12 pm

i think so, most teams will still tag black as he is most dangerous of the brissy midfield.

i was also looking at redden even to the point of having both in the mid but as i cant see too much upside to rookies this year

• beermee

March 9, 2011 at 10:15 pm

must have ben jacobs and ian callinan

• chucky

March 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm

callinan injured for 12 weeks
          and if jacobs cant get a game in nab is he likely to play h&a

• TheAussieDigger

March 10, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Jacobs has glandular fever and I presume it was a joke

24. :P

March 9, 2011 at 10:31 pm

404257
    join this league

• Phomesy

March 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm

25. v10

March 9, 2011 at 10:40 pm

pendles looks to be in great form and with the byes, im reluctant to have both swan and pendles before round 13.
    impressions now are that they will average about the same, so is there more value in starting with pendles rather than swan?
    or is letting swannie go gonna be a huge mistake?

26. chucky

March 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm

all this talk about guns and rooks being the best option my concern is that there arent that many rooks showing their worth in the nab cup

• Bandicoot

March 9, 2011 at 11:31 pm

you have to remember that you are picking rooks as cash cows. If they were to average 50 they make you a lot of cash and you then trade them in for another rookie once they have plateaued. Don’t expect to pick up too many rooks who are going to average 90. The Broughtons and Barlows don’t happen too often.

27. stray

March 9, 2011 at 11:20 pm

i was overseas for the grand finals last year and was wandering if pendles didnt play the first?
    if he did why arent both GFs listed in fan footy stats

• Justin

March 10, 2011 at 3:24 am

He played, but was shit cos he had a virus. So whatever he ended up with you should probably disregard anyway.

28. eeepobreci

March 10, 2011 at 1:02 am

Seriously needs proof reading!
    Same notes for Boak as Irons!
    Love the bit about Priddis, “If Priddis kicked rather than handballed……. ball would br turned over 90% of the time & Eagles would get annihilated evey week! 

29. The Riz

March 10, 2011 at 7:24 am

Yarran (new role) and Enright OR Higgins and Broughton….??

• TeeTee

March 10, 2011 at 9:07 am

Liking the Yarran/Enright combo – riskier than the Higgins/Broughton combo, but as long as Yarran’s a lock in the Blues HB, that’s pretty good value for quite a bit of upside.

30. Foggy79

March 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

Let me preface this by saying I love the write up, but I must say, you could have come up with something a little more original for Travis Boak!

31. kem

March 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

whats the best way to find out if a rookie gets on the senior list (i.e. lower?) ?

• Marrto

March 10, 2011 at 11:06 am

Club website boss

32. stray

March 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm

any 80k forwards outside of schneider from the hawks look like getting early games?

• Foggy79

March 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm

maybe hamp or bucovaz

33. liamo

March 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm

anybody know if kennedy from sydney played the full game???

34. McScoundrel

March 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm

It looks like Brodie Martin is back in the mix for r1 after having his knee cleared by the docs. The question is: Brodie Martin or Nathan Foley?

Brodie Martin
    Pros
    1 Will play across half-back. In Neil Craig’s system, half-backs rack up the massive.
    Cons
    1 That knee.
    2 Has an early bye (R2).

Nathan Foley
    Pros
    1 Wins a ton of the rock.
    2 Has a late bye (R10 or something).
    Cons
    1 I’ve gone back a bit to look at his stats. His kick to handball ratio is weighed the way you don’t want it (ie. in the Cross mould). He makes up for this somewhat by tackling like the best of them
    2 Persistently injury prone.

Taking the risk of possible injuries, both of them could be good midfield stepping stones for upgrades to premiums.

At the moment, I can only select one. I’m tempted by both of them. But if it comes down to one, who would you pick and why?

• TheAussieDigger

March 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Polec, Conca and Gaff have all scored pretty poorly so far this year.
      Are they worth the extra $ over people like Liberatore, Bewick and Atley?

• TheAussieDigger

March 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

*wasn’t supposed to be a reply

• Josh H

March 10, 2011 at 5:39 pm

McScoundrel – I had B Martin in until his latest knee scare, but have now gone for Callan Ward instead (so maybe check him out)?

Ward is a little similar to Foley in that he likes to handball too much to be a great DT’er, but he also tackles well – and he should improve his DT scores significantly this year.

However, obviously can’t see him improving enough to be keeper, so you will need to upgrade him at some point – which is very similar to getting Foley in your team as well in my opinion!!!

Good luck.

• McScoundrel

March 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Cheers Josh. I love watching Callan Ward but I have a mental block when it comes to picking him. I’ll try to get over that in the next couple of days. I’m talking to myself talking myself into Brodie Martin at the moment. It’s the last spot for me to fill.

35. b-rye

March 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm

D Swallow’s price of 160 k is really putting me off even though he will play every game and shud rack up the points. From a cash cow perspective though im thinking of going for Iron’s (providing he gets the nod)

• bobfossil

March 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm

• bobfossil

March 10, 2011 at 9:38 pm

If I thought I’d be getting games out of Swallow on the field, then he’d be in the BobFossils, however I’m looking predominantly as a cash cow = dropped. It’s tough on the kid but he’s got a bright future if he can get over the disappointment. There’s always next year Dave…

36. evan17

March 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm

thoughts on rhys palmer? really think he can get 95+ this year taking on barlows role.

also, sam iles anyone?

• b-rye

March 10, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Got Palmer locked in. I agree I think he’s in for a big one!

• Iamlegend

March 12, 2011 at 11:43 am

If you look at Fremantles top DT players in price Palmer is a perfect choice for midfield.

Sandilands- ruck

Barlow- injured

pavlich- forward

broughton, Duffield- back

palmer- BINGO!

(of course theres Mundy but look how many premium mids other teams have)

37. Locky