My Team 2017: Version 1.1

Chad, the man behind DT Live, has updated the Drawing Board for the 2017 season. Head over to the site and select ‘Drawing Board’ from the drop down menu and you can start picking your AFL Fantasy Classic squads for the upcoming season.

Click here to use the Drawing Board.

Once you have picked your team, you can simply copy and paste your team to put in the comments below. Now that we have My Team cranking, discuss any players, team structure, etc in the comments. As always, keep it civil and if you’re advice, make sure you dish out some of your own (make sure it well thought out and not blatant trolling – we’re totally over that after 10+ years of DT Talk!).

Get keen for a massive season ahead.

We have put together a team featuring the most selected players so far this pre-season. It has been created to fit the salary cap, with $32K remaining, but it does include most of the popular selections to fit the structure. There’s plenty here we would change, but all in all, the DT Live community seem to be on the money! After the O’Meara news today, his ownership is likely to drop.

popularteam2017_11jan

Click here for more information about the Drawing Board.

deckofdtstrip2017_620

648 Comments

  • Any more thoughts on this team? I reckon I have made 100+ changes since last post. Feedback appreciated:
    EAM NAME: specials. (AFL Fantasy 2017)
    Used: $10,989,000 (99.9%), Remaining: $11,000 (0.1%) On Ground: $9,606,000 (87.3%), On Bench: $1,383,000 (12.6%)
    Expected Total: 1739, Site Expected Total: 2071
    Def: T.Adams (104.87), L.Montagna (99.81), L.Hodge (88.52), J.Thurlow (47.55), A.McGrath (42.15), M.Hibberd (25.29) (C.Hampton (34.40), L.Ryan (25.29))
    Mid: T.Rockliff (118.70), A.Treloar (113.47), J.Steven (106.22), N.Fyfe (100.32), D.Heppell (92.40), D.Swallow (59.85), N.Freeman (25.29), J.Barrett (25.29) (D.Myers (33.22), J.Graham (25.29))
    Ruc: S.Martin (90.71), K.Tippett (85.99) (W.Buzza (25.29), B.Frampton (25.29))
    Fwd: J.Macrae (100.49), T.Greene (94.42), I.Heeney (74.52), J.Roughead (62.89), C.McCarthy (35.58), M.McCarthy (25.29) (J.Bowes (39.12), S.Weideman (25.29))

  • I’m curious, and bear in mind it’s for RDT

    S Docherty, R Laird, S Burgoyne, R Rookie, R Rookie (R Rookie, L Keeffe)
    P Dangerfield, N Fyfe, M Bontempelli, J Ziebell, J Watson, D Swallow, B Ainsworth, K Lovell (R Rookie, R Rookie, D Myers)
    T Goldstein, A Sandilands (L Strnadica)
    JJ Kennedy, TJ Lynch, I Heeney, J Roughead (Hawks), T Boyd, R Rookie (R Rookie, J Bowes)

    obviously “R Rookie” is a placeholder, I have given him a 200k value, but may very well be cheaper than that
    because of which, I am also slightly over the cap (by around 50k), but hope to hit it slightly down due to the 7 rookies I’ve gotten in as placeholders)
    sorted by price – I may end up with the likes of Bowes [or Myers] on the field, but they’re on the bench due to being under 200k

    • placeholder premiums look good. Burgoyne is an interesting choice and will give you consistency. As for the MIDS I has Ziebell last year and his back half of the year was a constant source of frustration but he will get to 90 – 100 most weeks. Jobe Watson is really good value but how much cash will he make? FWDs are solid, nice PODss with Kennedy and Lynch. That could work out.

  • Current mid is danger, Rocky, Treloar, Steven, Crouch, Heppell, Powell Pepper, Myers,
    I’m looking to put in Bont or Fyfe into here maybe,
    Question 1, do I bring either of them in and who for? Besides crouch and Steven,

  • Bont for Danger, who’s priced at 120 so might drop in price a tad. But if it was me Id get rid of Crouch, even tho Im a Crows supporter

  • Just want to know peoples opinion on my team and if anyone is up for discussion on any players will more than be happy to:)

    Remaining: 34k
    DEF: Adams, Hodge, Hartlett, Hibberd, Thurlow, McGrath (Hibberd, 150k)
    MID: Titch, Sidey, Barlow, Duncan, Beams, Swallow, Powell-Pepper, Foote (Myers, Freeman)
    RUC: Sandy, Vardy (2x150k)
    FWD: Macrae, Miller, Heeney, Bennell, Gresham, De Boar (2x150k)

    Thanks Boys

    • Lochie……..

      I actually don’t mind the Hartlett selection, have considered it myself, not sure on Barlow, what do you see him averaging? Don’t know much about Foote.

      • I reckon Barlow will average 108+. In a new team especially Gold Coast who do score overly large scores. So with him in my opinion getting told to run and have fun out there and to get the ball.

        Foote should break out this season. He got in the TOTY for the NEAFL and may get an opportunity with Tom Mitchell departing the club. He is someone i got my eye on in the pre season and could easily change.

  • Bennell or Powell Pepper? Powell Pepper frees up 202K, midfield is Dangerfield, Rockliff, Steven, Fyfe, Gaff, Bennell, Barrett, Graham, Freeman, Balic.

    Cheers.

    • Will either play round one? Who will play well in the preseason games? Sorry fevs but your question is something no one really knows! Bennell only just started running the other day if that helps, I’d perfer SSelwood.. At this stage he’s fit, impressing the players around him, has a handy bye and has first dibs on the third midfielder spot with his brother and danger.

      Strong midfield btw, hope that helps

  • Bont and Laird
    V
    Pendles and Johanissen?

  • Cant split em. Cant go wrong with either. Id go B n L just coz I like them better. Maybe Bont will have a higher ceiling this year. Laird more consistent than JJ but u could argue the reverese!! Quite the conundrum…

  • What’s the general consensus on Danger? Is he worth the 700k and average 120 again? Or are you better to save yourself 50k and get a Pendles, Hanners, Treloar etc? A big outlay for Danger, particularly if he recedes a little back to 110-115

    • Worth every cent, don’t want to be scrambling trying to find the money to get him in when you’re falling behind. He will drop some cash but how much will it be? 50-80k? I wont be worried about it. Has the rnd 12 bye as well which is handy.

      • Agree. The dilemna is you need the best. If you pick a pendles with a view to upgrade him later to danger when or if he drops ur loath to do it. Shd only be upgrading rookies and mid-pricers unless a premo goes on a sustained stinker

  • Hanners v Bont? Cheers lads

  • Ive got both, but Hanners if ud have to choose

  • Hanners, S.Selwood, Bowes
    V
    Danger, Powell-pepper, Roughead?

  • 2. We dont know if Bowes or Pwell-Pepper will play yet. I rate Danger higher than Hanners, just and Roughie better value and cash generation than scooter

  • Grundy and Laird
    Or
    Gawn and Johanissen?

  • Gawn and Laird. Make it work!! Ideally tho both rucks and one of Laird or JJ

  • Gawn and Treloar/ Hanners
    V
    Grundy and Danger? I feel like Gawn will average 5-7 points more than Grundy and Danger 5-7 more than Treloar/ Hanners. Hard to split

  • TEAM NAME: Fig Jam . (AFL Fantasy 2017)
    Used: $10,969,000 (99.7%), Remaining: $31,000 (0.3%) On Ground: $9,769,000 (88.8%), On Bench: $1,200,000 (10.9%)
    Expected Total: 1767, Site Expected Total: 2103
    Def: S.Docherty (102.68), R.Laird (98.47), J.Johannisen (94.92), J.Thurlow (47.55), A.McGrath (42.15), C.Hampton (34.40) (M.Hibberd (25.29), K.Collins (25.29))
    Mid: T.Rockliff (118.70), D.Hannebery (110.44), T.Mitchell (107.57), N.Fyfe (100.32), D.Heppell (92.40), J.O’Meara (61.37), H.McCluggage (41.48), S.Powell-Pepper (36.42) (J.Graham (25.29), N.Freeman (25.29))
    Ruc: S.Martin (90.71), P.Ryder (69.30) (L.Pierce (25.29), W.Buzza (25.29))
    Fwd: J.Macrae (100.49), T.Miller (83.12), I.Heeney (74.52), H.Bennell (65.42), J.Bowes (39.12), C.McCarthy (35.58) (J.Pickett (25.29), B.Eddy (25.29))

    • Def- Overall pretty solid, I am not sure about curtly hamptons job security so If I were you I would opt for a 150k rookie e.g. hibberd at D6.

      Mid- very solid, O’Meara won’t play until round four so you may want to switch him with D.Swallow or Scooter.

      Rucks- High risk, Stef might have to share the ruck role which would significantly curb his scoring but just watch for that over the JLT. Ryder should average around 85 but the round 9 bye is a pain. (possibly an upgrade target?)

      Fwds- I like it a lot, if they are all playing. Watch for Bennell as he has only just started running and has not played footy in two years. If named go for him! Touk Miller is an interesting one, personally I don’t think he will get too much midfield time due to the inclusions of barlow, hanley and Lyons. Maybe downgrade to Roughy and upgrade O meara?

      Overall pretty solid, just a few concerns about availability and roles. if every thing go’s to plan, an 8/10

    • Def- Overall pretty solid, I am not sure about curtly hamptons job security so If I were you I would opt for a 150k rookie e.g. hibberd at D6.

      Mid- very solid, O’Meara won’t play until round four so you may want to switch him with D.Swallow or Scooter.

      Rucks- High risk, Stef might have to share the ruck role which would significantly curb his scoring but just watch for that over the JLT. Ryder should average around 85 but the round 9 bye is a pain. (possibly an upgrade target?)

      Fwds- I like it a lot, if they are all playing. Watch for Bennell as he has only just started running and has not played footy in two years. If named go for him! Touk Miller is an interesting one, personally I don’t think he will get too much midfield time due to the inclusions of barlow, hanley and Lyons. Maybe downgrade to Roughy and upgrade O meara?

      Overall pretty solid, just a few concerns about availability and roles. if every thing go’s to plan, an 8/10

  • Ryder, JJ and Roughie or Jacobs/Stef, Laird and Bowes??

    • 85+95+85=265

      Stef 100+100+65=265

      I’d go option 2 purely because I feel there’s 2 keepers in Stef and Laird where with option 1 only JJ is a keeper. Can you help above? Cheers

  • Is the game open yet?

    • Nope, not open for any format yet, probably first week or 2 of Feb

      • Warnie gave the impression that it would open this week. I think he actually said ‘next week’ last week.

        • They how can u get information like this if it isn’t out yet for example?:

          Used: $10,989,000 (99.9%), Remaining: $11,000 (0.1%) On Ground: $9,606,000 (87.3%), On Bench: $1,383,000 (12.6%)
          Expected Total: 1739, Site Expected Total: 2071

  • Hey guys, Caddy or Devon Smith?

    • Devon Smith.

      Good Luck

      • Cheers The Chosen Won – any reasons why?

        • Me myself wouldn’t pick either but here is a few things to mull over:

          Here are a few things:

          Smiths overall time on ground 81.7% compared to Caddys 73.3%

          37 times Smith has scored 90 or more from 93 games.

          22 times Caddy has scored 90 or more from 95 games.

          Hope this helps..

          Good Luck

          • where do you get these stats from? I’d love to have access to those sorts of stats

          • Who cares what theyve done in games from 3-5 years ago, caddys averaged 85 and 89 his last 2 years and devon has a veraged 78 and 86, + Caddy is all but certain to get more of a go at the tigers where as i personally just dont see where devon fits in.

            Good luck xoxo

    • I’d lean towards Caddy as he will get alot more midfield time compared with Geelong last year.

  • RDT. Rooks subject to game time, thinking I will settle on majority of this line up all barring injuries and any good advice!

    TEAM NAME: PowerAde. (Real Dream Team 2017)
    Used: $10,684,100 (99.9%), Remaining: $15,900 (0.1%) On Ground: $9,655,000 (90.2%), On Bench: $1,029,100 (9.6%)
    Expected Total: 1740, Site Expected Total: 2062
    Def: S.Docherty (101.01), R.Laird (96.71), J.Johannisen (93.32), M.Hibberd (71.62), J.Thurlow (46.72), A.McGrath (37.06) (J.Berry (24.92), L.Ryan (21.13))
    Mid: L.Parker (109.91), T.Mitchell (105.70), J.Steven (104.38), N.Fyfe (98.62), D.Heppell (91.65), M.Murphy (79.80), H.McCluggage (35.54), J.Graham (21.13) (S.Powell-Pepper (24.16), D.Myers (23.00), N.Freeman (22.32))
    Ruc: P.Ryder (68.86), A.Sandilands (49.87) (L.Strnadica (18.43))
    Fwd: J.Macrae (98.84), L.Dahlhaus (92.31), I.Heeney (73.36), J.Roughead (61.74), J.Elliott (54.71), C.McCarthy (35.00) (C.Brown (21.13), B.Eddy (18.43))

    • No Danger or Rocky is a huge risk and one that if it fails will see you team building for 2018!

      Good Luck

      • yeah, I think you are right.

        they are just too god damn expensive though, hoping to pick them up after they drop 50-75k

        • But to pick them up you’d be giving up a Hanners or Treloar. You wont wanna be doing that. Everyone says they will pick up players when they drop but do they? Should be focussing on upgrading rooks n midpricers, esp in RDT

          • you are 100% correct. I am hoping to upgrade heppell and murphy to danger and rocky in first 6 rounds then look to rucks next 4 rounds, cash some rooks in during byes, look at fwds and defence to round 18 then finish team next 4 weeks.

            of course that is no one I selected having any form slump or injuries and all my rooks get played round 1 on and end up 75-85 average in a perfect world

    • Very risky IMO, esp for RDT with limited trades. Def solid. Solid mids but how many are top 8-10? Big gamble having both Ryder & Sandi, id personally only have one & upgrade the other. Macrae & Dahl should be top 6-8 fwds. Heeney, Roughy & Elliott is a big gamble. Just a bit too mid pricey for mine

      • Thanks punchy, agree with mid pricey comment and am contemplating giving Sandi and Elliot the boot for a decent ruck, thinking Grundy and another fwd rook, dunno who yet, still think plenty of up for Elliot

        I am thinking Parker, Titch, Fyfe and Steven will be top 8 by years end though

  • Jordan Lewis?

  • Roughie, JJ and Ryder or Laird, Bowes and Stef/Jacobs

    • my opinion option one – ryder wont do any worse than stef of Jacobs and is priced nicely, the extra goals he will kick will be icing even if it is 20-30.

      roughie is under valued by a mile, he will average 85-95 by years end

      jj and laird hard to differentiate for me,i have both in my squad.

      bowes may not get a lot of game time, all a raffle for the rooks

    • 85/90/80 = 255

      90/60/95 = 245

      Good Luck

  • Johanissen v Laird? JJ maybe slightly under priced due to his injury earlier in the year, 3 big hundreds in the finals so does he crack the 100 barrier this year? Or is Laird likely to out score him?

    • coin toss for me, couldn’t separate so got both

      • I went JJ based on his Kick to Handball ratio. Laird loves to handball, JJ loves to kick..

        Rory’s 10.9 Handballs Per Game to Jason’s 6.5%…

        Good Luck

    • Its a hard one, Laird for me.
      It probably wont affect much but I wonder how Bob Murphy returning will affect JJ’s scoring?

  • Thoughts on this team?
    (AFL Fantasy 2017)
    Remaining: $6,000

    Def: T.Adams , S.Docherty, R.Laird , A.McGrath , B.Long, N.Newman (M.Hibberd , L.Ryan)
    Mid: T.Rockliff, A.Treloar, D.Hannebery, T.Mitchell, A.Gaff , D.Heppell, J.Graham, J.Barrett (N.Freeman), B.Grewar)
    Ruc: M.Gawn, P.Ryder (L.Pierce , B.Preuss)
    Fwd: J.Macrae, S.Motlop, I.Heeney, T.Taranto, H.McCluggage, C.McCarthy, (W.Rioli, B.Eddy)
    Assuming the rookies like McGrath, Taranto, McGluggage start round 1 of course.
    Thanks

    • motlop interesting pick,liking gaff pick

    • I think DOC is a great pick and should avge over 100

      Solid Mids

      I am not starting with Gawn myself will upgrade early once he’s dropped in price.

      Fwds for me a little thin, Maybe change Gawn to Smarting (who I see going 100 in 2017) and use cash to upgrade one of those Fwds.

      Overall not bad

      7/10

      Good Luck

    • Thanks for the feedback.
      Thoughts on Gawn – Martin
      Taranto – Roughhead
      McCarthy – Lovell?

  • VOTE YES OPEN THE GAME TONIGHT!

    Good Luck

  • TEAM NAME: Fig Jam . (AFL Fantasy 2017)
    Used: $10,995,000 (100%), Remaining: $5,000 (0%) On Ground: $9,795,000 (89%), On Bench: $1,200,000 (10.9%)
    Expected Total: 1771, Site Expected Total: 2112
    Def: S.Docherty (102.68), L.Montagna (99.81), R.Laird (98.47), J.Thurlow (47.55), A.McGrath (42.15), C.Hampton (34.40) (K.Collins (25.29), M.Hibberd (25.29))
    Mid: T.Rockliff (118.70), D.Hannebery (110.44), T.Mitchell (107.57), N.Fyfe (100.32), M.Crouch (95.09), J.O’Meara (61.37), H.McCluggage (41.48), D.Myers (33.22) (N.Freeman (25.29), J.Graham (25.29))
    Ruc: S.Martin (90.71), P.Ryder (69.30) (L.Pierce (25.29), W.Buzza (25.29))
    Fwd: J.Macrae (100.49), T.Miller (83.12), I.Heeney (74.52), H.Bennell (65.42), J.Bowes (39.12), C.McCarthy (35.58) (B.Eddy (25.29), J.Pickett (25.29))

    • Thurlow and Hampton might struggle to get consistent games in 2017, Like Doc and Monty Picks both should be top 6.

      No O’Meara until round 4 according to reports I’ve read.

      Like S.Martin as R1.

      Miller, Heeney and Bennell will not produce big enough numbers to warrant F2/F3/F4.

      Over all need some work.

      6/10

      Good Luck

  • Who’s keen on Matt Crouch? And what do you think he’ll average? Can see him being a premium this year. Big finish last season

  • Thoughts on Sidebottom?

    • Great players will average 100+ in 2017, Sad thing is has 3rd in line I now rank him behind Treloar and Pendles!

      Will he be top 8? NO!

      Good Luck

    • Solid, solid unique has threatened to averaged 110 ever since he got to 108 in 2014 and can see him averaging 105+ this year, if there werent so many underpriced premos id be tempted.

  • For all those wondering when the site will open, I found this on the Official Rules section of the AFL Fantasy website. You can navigate to it by clicking on the ‘HELP’ tab

    TERM OF GAME
    1. The Game commences at 12:01 am Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (“AEDST”) on 26 January 2017 and closes at 11.59 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (“AEST”) on 6 September 2017 (“Promotion Period”), and will cover each of the 23 rounds of fixtures in the 2017 Australian Football League Premiership season (“Rounds”), as notified on http://www.afl.com.au.

  • Bont and Roughead
    V
    Hanners and Elliot?

  • Thoughts on Dylan Sheil? No one seems to be talking about him as a genuine premo, anyone got any idea on what they reckon he’ll average?

  • Parker, Hannebery, JPK or Treloar???

  • TEAM NAME: Team G. (AFL Fantasy 2017)
    Used: $10,993,000 (99.9%), Remaining: $7,000 (0.1%) On Ground: $9,793,000 (89%), On Bench: $1,200,000 (10.9%)
    Expected Total: 1771, Site Expected Total: 2118
    Def: T.Adams (104.87), L.Montagna (99.81), J.Johannisen (94.92), M.Hibberd (72.16), J.Thurlow (47.55), A.McGrath (42.15) (M.Hibberd (25.29), L.Ryan (25.29))
    Mid: T.Rockliff (118.70), A.Treloar (113.47), M.Bontempelli (100.32), D.Beams (87.51), L.Shiels (84.13), J.Watson (80.42), S.Selwood (64.07), D.Myers (33.22) (J.Barrett (25.29), J.Graham (25.29))
    Ruc: S.Martin (90.71), P.Ryder (69.30) (B.Frampton (25.29), L.Pierce (25.29))
    Fwd: J.Macrae (100.49), I.Heeney (74.52), J.Roughead (62.89), H.McCluggage (41.48), C.McCarthy (35.58), K.Lovell (32.88) (B.Eddy (25.29), J.Daicos (25.29))

    I know the forward line is a bit thin, but i’m trying to implement a unique midfield. Any feedback is appreciated.

    *Obviously rookies are only onfield if playing.

    • Forward line is a bit thin

    • I like the left field selections (Shiels, Watson) but might want to sacrifice a mid for the sake of that forward line. I’d personally drop Beams

  • barlow predicted average?

  • Who would you drop out of McCarthy (Frem), McLuggage or Lovell??

    • If I drop McCarthy I can get Koby Stevens

    • McCarthy is a young KPP in a garbage side that doesn’t kick goals. It’s still too early to know what’s happening in the rookie stocks to tell you a replacement, but surely there’ll be a few cheaper guys who can match the 45-65 he’ll average.

      • Not a freo fan but with the inclusions of potentially bennell, fyfe, sandi, hill and a few other talented youngsters i see them as far from garbage but i do agree with you that hell struggle to score.

  • Just saw the article talking about Atley moving into the midfield. I reckon he should be one to watch in the pre season comp.

    Thoughts?

  • Any good team names for AFL Fantasy

  • Thoughts on Riewoldt?
    Played like a boss last year and I like the idea of a SAF 100avg forward.
    Do you think he’ll average 100+ again?

    • Sure will you would expect him to be in the top 3 forwards, if your willing to pay his price